Sunday, March 23, 2008

Write here waiting...

Lately it seems like many of us in the blogging community are just basically trying to figure out life. Ironically, the overall theme of many of our multiple serious postings of late, has been the desire to find out, not just what's NEXT in our life, but more specifically, what we are supposed to be doing in the meantime.
What I'm realizing is that TRUE bloggers (those of us who blog several times a week--because it's in our blood, because we HAVE to) are also deep--often intensely deep--thinkers. And, from this deep thinking flows lots of writing...lots and lots and LOTS of writing (yes-- lots of blogging.)
Through these (primarily virtual) friends' blogs and the alignment of our words, I am finding amazing commonality with thoughts I've had myself: What am I supposed to be doing with this time? What is God's plan for THIS season of my life?
We all write that we truly believe God has a purpose for our life, (Jeremiah 29:11) but the question and disappointment seems to seep in when we have done everything RIGHT (for a certain amount of time anyway) and things still don't seem to be moving forward. We are all starting to wonder why those plans for a future that He knows for us, have not been yet been revealed to us! And what the heck we should do while we're waiting? What are we supposed to do in the meantime?
Through a comment on Josh Treece's blog the other day, I suggested that maybe THIS was God's plan for us. THIS. This right now, (hopefully) interim time. This time we've been given to think and sit and wonder and read and pray and trust and hope and rest and write and write and WRITE--this might BE the plan for us...in the mean time anyway.
Of course I put myself in this category of thinkers/waiters/writers. In my fourth year of living alone, I have a painful amount (I almost wrote, "an ungodly amount") of free time--reading and writing blogs every day has been an unexpected gift! I'm realizing that blogging has actually become a cathartic outlet for many of us heavy thinkers. It's a journal, a best friend and a psychologist rolled into one--and at your fingertips! It's much cheaper than therapy, open 24 hours a day, and my laptop actually keeps me warm at night.
This is my 800th post! In a little more than 15 months. (That's almost 2 per day.) And, Lord knows, I could write more. My mind never turns off. I have a lot of time and a lot to say. So I write. I have to. And sometimes, it's all I have to do. In the mean time anyway.
I am seriously starting to consider writing a book about living "in the meantime." (Loisa correctly emphasizes the often "MEAN" part of this meantime.) This "purgatory time" that so many of us seem to be waiting and hoping to be prayed out of! But while we are aching to get out, are we wasting THIS time? Are we MISSING something that God is trying to teach us or show us right NOW?
At this point in life, I feel like I am pretty healthy and for the most part, I have my sh*t together. I think it's because, for the last year or so, I have been allowing myself to "wallow" in this meantime. I have accepted it and have actually learned how to enjoy it. I've started to understand that THIS might be God's plan after all...to sit down and to enjoy the quiet, to read...and to write. And to learn to fall in love with this new life. THIS part of life.
I'm thinking that this meantime might not be so mean after all. It might be about doing the things we won't have time to do once the 'big' plan is revealed. It might be about praying and hoping and dreaming and laughing and writing (and cooking and singing and dancing and eating and traveling)--and enjoying life right now--THIS season of life. And it might be about remembering that it's ALL part of the plans He has for us! For me it's the alone season. For others--the unemployed season, the uncertain season, the waiting season, the unanswered question season, or the clarifying season. For all of us, it's the "in the meantime" season.
Perhaps "the plans He has for you (and me)" start with learning to love this part of the plan. Maybe He really does just want us to sit back and relax and let HIM worry about the future. After all, He said He knows the plans and that they were gonna be good...
Maybe He just wants us to trust and relax and be faithful and pray.
One thing for sure though. I know that He wants us to write.
...in the meantime anyway.

6 comments:

loisa said...

i think it appropriate to respond to your blog on blogging with a blog.

http://loisamarie.blogspot.com/2007/12/pleasantries.html

i don't think anyone actually read it because it was so long...but it applies to this whole finding-meaning-in-this-moment thing...skip to the paragraph that starts with "this may seem elementary..." if the size of the blog is overwhelming.

Allison said...

This is very well-written...

Insured Asset Solutions said...

Bull’s-eye!

Eliane said...

Never stop writing Julie!
You are so gifted and passionate.
I so enjoy reading you.

Anonymous said...

All of us will see many events transpire in the course of our lifetime that will extend our faith while taxing our desire to move forward.. I agree with you to seek help and guidance from your Father who art in Heaven who will make these moments of waiting but mere stepping stones on a way to a greater path. Keep blogging and gaining knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Only Heavenly Father knows what is in store for us. Life is a bumpy ride, it takes turns that we never expected it would take. But if we stay true to our self and love those around us I know that Heavenly Father will show us our way. If we try to destroy those around us our journey will only be harder. Life is not easy, so put on your seatbelt and get ready for the ride.