Sunday, March 16, 2008

Treks and Bugs and Rock n' Roll


A true friend knows
everything about you, and likes you anyway. (Dorky, but damn true.)








There's nothing better than a friend who knows your past, your secrets and even who you went to Prom with in 1980. No one better to talk with, laugh with and drink Margaritas with. No one better to walk with, kill (lots of) crickets with and sing Partridge Family love songs with. Truly.

These last three days were full of REAL friendship. Honesty and understanding, unconditional love and acceptance--period. With Kelly and Sonja and Katherine...it's been that way for 30 years.







The four of us spent the last three days wearing sweats and jammies and without any makeup. Cameras were not going off when bathing suits were on. We soaked in the jacuzzi, melted in the steam room, sat out on the deck and relaxed with stacks of magazines. (Ironically, we took turns reading portions of the "How NOT to Look Old" book as we sat in chenille robes with reading glasses perched on our noses.) We had breakfast in bed. We took a LONG walk around the valley. We finished off a bottle of Patron in every flavor Margarita we could think of. We ate more guacamole than a human should consume in a 48 hour period. (Did I mention we were on an Avocado Ranch?!) I had put together a "Girl's weekend" playlist of songs--the hits from 1978-1981--and we sang, and danced and laughed and cooked and ATE and drank and talked and relaxed...
And we were so grateful.
At one point last night, Sonja and I stood at the sliding door of the house watching the rain fall down on the gorgeous valley below. Tom Petty played on in the background and Sonja said the exact words I was thinking,
"I am so happy right now.
There is NO place I'd rather be."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummmm . . . didn't we say something about no pictures in bathrobes either???

Kelly said...

It was so much fun! I loved every minute of it....(expect for the heart burn at one in the morning)! I really couldn't have asked for a better weekend.
Love you,
Kelly

PETE Di LALLO said...

You know how to have fun...

Heather McTaggart said...

I hear your smile right through your words...SO FUN! You are so lucky to have these friends, I know the feeling! I love my friends from years and years ago, I love picking up where we left off, I love acceptance and love no matter what we have been through! THAT IS WHAT LIFE IS ABOUT...you are lucky my friend! Glad you are home...let's get together SOON!