Tuesday, March 4, 2008

7th Inning Stretch

I love baseball. Every single bit of it. From the ice-cold beer and over-priced peanuts, to a perfectly-executed squeeze play and come-from-behind win. It absolutely turns me on. And, as I have mentioned before, I see nearly every aspect of the game as a great analogy for life.
Saturday's sadness had steeped into Sunday for me. And then into Monday. Queen of resilience that I am, I'm always more mad at myself for letting anything get the best of me. Last night, I went to bed in a funk and just laid there (the curse of being a deep thinker is being a crappy sleeper) I just knew I had to get a handle on this.
At 3:15am I had my "baseball analogy" revelation! I sat up and said, Julie Hibbard! This was just one bad at bat. You swung too early! You have to learn to slow down and be a little more patient. Don’t worry, you’ll be up again very soon. (By the way, yes, I always call myself Julie Hibbard when I am talking to myself.)
That's all I needed. I went back to sleep and didn't wake up til 6:30 this morning! (That's like NOON to me.)
Truth is, I've spent most of my life 'down by a couple of runs', always hoping to catch up. I've just recently felt like I might be in a position to tie it up. (Which means, a brand new ballgame.) And at this point, I know exactly who I am. I know the rules, I've honed the skills and I am ready to play. Of course, I also know that it's not just up to me. There are always going to be other players in the game and they'll have their at bats too. And maybe strike out. We'll need to encourage one another to find the position and stance that works best for each of us.
There will--no doubt--be errors (which someone will keep track of) and an occasional bad call and there's always that chance of someone getting hurt.
But all the while, the game keeps on going. And in the immortal words of Yogi Berra (or was it Lenny Kravitz?), “It ain't over 'til it’s over.”
Today, I'm seeing this portion of my life from the spectator's perspective at the “7th inning stretch." (In layman's terms, the "Take me out to the Ballgame" time.) It's time for a little break, time to stretch for a bit and adjust a few things after sitting for so long. Doesn't matter if we're winning or losing at this point, I need to stand up, take a look around and appreciate my surroundings...and sing.
Can you believe that some people leave at the 7th inning stretch?! Not me.
The game's not over. There are still 2 1/2 innings left to play after the stretch…and of course, if we're tied in the 9th...who knows how long it could go on.
What I realized this morning is...there's lots of game left to play.
So, here's the deal...though I feel like I’m a couple runs behind right now, I’m grabbing myself another beer and a bag of peanuts or two, and sitting back down to see how this all turns out.
Do you hear any fat lady singing?
Me neither.
That means it ain’t over.

5 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

It's NOT even close to being over...this is the running start! You have a TON of innings left and YOU JULIE HIBBARD are going to come out winning the WORLD SERIES (that's baseball right..ha ha)! Brush that red clay off your knees stand tall with that beautiful new hair cut, HOT jeans and get back in the game! Your the star player and I WOULD EVEN COME TO SEE YOU PLAY AND WIN (and I don't know sports)! LOVE YOU JULIE HIBBARD!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

here are a couple of thoughts...

Why are you grabbing another bag of peanuts? Clearly it should be another beer!

I love your baseball analogies...I'm pretty sure the birds and the bees talk was taught to me in baseball terminology.

People who leave in the 7th inning stretch should be hit by a line drive foul ball as they exit.

I'm in the batters box right behind you friend...cheering you on all the way knowing that I'm facing the same things you are.

I'm so excited for the double or triple waiting ahead for us...hell maybe it's even a home run!

I freaking LOVE baseball!

and lastly...we HAVE to marry someone who loves baseball as much as us, or they don't stand a chance understanding us!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Why are all baseball metaphores / analogies, mostly about batters?
Right off the bat I have to say this is one of your best blogs, and Courtney's comments are a smash hit...Heather's comment covers all the bases...
OK, no more of those...
Julie Hibbard, you say you now know the rules and you just have to play...beer and peanuts are not bad but there ain't no fat lady...
AND baseball IS life...you can't win 'em all...
wish I could say something much more inspiring but I'm stuck on third base these days...XOXOXOXOXO

Julie Hibbard said...

Court,
I'm kinda hoping for a man who gives me something much better to do each night than watch baseball...

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

HAAA!!! AMEN!