Thursday, March 13, 2008

Friends with (financial) benefits

Whitney
and Roy
Today I had lunch with my friend, Roy, at French 75 in Fashion Island. Roy is my 'investment guy'...he tells me--I mean suggests to me--when to buy, sell, get out or (most recently) when to just find something to bite down on and "ride it out."
Every few months Roy and I meet for lunch and we go over my investments...for about 10 minutes. Then we talk about how much he hates the Yankees and then, about life.
Married with three kids under 10, Roy thinks I have "the best life of anyone on the planet." (direct quote today) He said, "You've gone to Europe each year since I've known you, you have a beautiful house, a great job and you can do anything you want!" Then, he added (as he does every time), "Don't ever get married!"
We enjoyed our lunch and varied conversation and I left assuring Roy that the end to his vicarious enjoyment of my 'fabulous single life' is nowhere in sight.

An added treat for the day was seeing my darling friend Whitney,
who is the General Manager at French 75!
Whitney gave us the "Industry Discount" since I work at a hotel...


After lunch I wandered over to the Barnes and Noble and bought a couple of new books to take with me this weekend. My mom suggested that I pick up Dr. Laura's new book (Apparently I whine to my mother.) And, then I found a book that I should have written!
"Wife Goes On-Happier ever after."
It's a novel--and I'm not much of a fiction reader of late--but with a title like that, I couldn't resist.
Being in no hurry, I decided to cruise down the coast toward home. With the sunroof open, the windows down and "Happy" songs blasting from my iPod, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride along the beach on this GORGEOUS day.
I'm not sure if it's the best life on the planet...
but, I gotta admit...it's pretty darn close.
Sometimes I just need someone to remind me.

1 comment:

Eliane said...

That is the result of YOU making the right choices.
Deciding what's the best for you was not always easy...Look at the results now!!!! I am proud of you!