Saturday, March 22, 2008

CLASS Reunion

My friend, Annie is graduating from The Art Institute of California and I was blessed to be a part of her exciting graduation celebration last night. Annie was part of my small group at Crave and has always been a JOY to be with as well as an amazing artist and graphic designer! I am OH so proud of the truly incredibly kind, intelligent and artistic woman she is today!
Check out her fantastic body of work at www.annienoelsmith.com
The night became even more fun as the other guests--and long time friends--began to arrive. Amber and Jordan Slaybaugh were also part of Crave and Amber was part of my small group too. Jordan and his entire family were part of the Saddleback Staff at one point or another! Of course, I like to remember Jordan as the boy Allison went to Homecoming with sophomore year.
Kara was part of the Crave staff, went to London for a semester with Allison AND is best friends with my nephew's wife. Loisa worked at Saddleback, was in the show choir at El Toro High School with Allison AND danced with me every Thursday night at Crave (oh, and at a Saddleback Christmas party!)
And the old friends kept coming...Michelle was part of one of my small groups at Crave. Katherine was in Zac's class at school, was an All STARS leader AND was in my WILDSIDE small group when she was in 7th and 8th grade! Yep! It had been YEARS since I'd seen her. Tonight she hugged me and we talked for quite a while. She said the kindest words to me about things I had shared and talked about with the group when she was in Jr. High. She said, "Julie, you really made an impact on my life!" Wow! (I started to cry...)
And then there's Jared and Alanna. Jared's mom and I taught Sunday School at Saddleback when it was at Trabuco Hills High School--Jared and Allison were in Kindergarten! He was part of the GREAT group of church friends who hung out at our home and grew up with Allison. (Remind me to post photos of Jared and Allison when they were "Goldy Locks and the bear.") Alanna and Allison have been close friends since 7th grade. Alanna traveled to New York and to London and Paris with our family and spent a lot of time over the many years at our house!
Jared and Alanna are getting married in May.
Carrie--as well as HER entire family--has worked at Saddleback too! Tonight she told me that my blog is 'so inspirational' to her. Wow.
Cathy and Allison have been friends since sixth grade Sunday School class with Jon Mooney. Cathy also worked at Saddleback...and the one thing that all "Former Saddleback Staff" want to do together is drink. And we do.
Dana!! Oh Dana! Dana was on Crave staff with me and was fabulous to work with! I have not seen her in months...SO good to re connect!
Becky is Loisa's mom and YET ANOTHER "former Saddleback staff" (notice beer in hand.)

Last night was like one of those dreams where everyone you know from different areas of your life all show up in one room. The thing is...MOST of my last 20 years revolved around Saddleback--almost ALL the aspects of my life--work, ministry, my kid's activities.
Everything really.
The thing is--that very large church is more like a really small world.
SO many good friends and memories came out of those years. So much GREAT stuff...
And I wouldn't trade it for anything on Earth.
Congratulations Annie!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

... so ... why don't you attend Saddleback any more? No judgement. Just curious.

Julie Hibbard said...

Oh, I still frequently attend...I am just no longer part of the church staff.

Allison said...

Josh Peters is so sad that he's not there for this...those are his peeps.

carrie d. said...

wonderful! oh so wonderful! :)

Annie Smith said...

love you! so glad you got to be apart of the celebration!!