Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dating myself


"Oh, it's taking so long, I could be wrong...I could be ready.
But if I take my heart's advice,
I should assume it's still unsteady..."

So, I have a date Friday night. And I am not sure why, but I'm nervous as hell. He's a really nice guy...handsome, very funny and (a few years) younger than me. He totally knows music and though he's not a huge baseball fan, he's tall and has at least 60 pounds on me--which is WAY more important to me these days! I've known him for about six months and I am 'comfortable' with him...I think.
Here's the deal...I have not really dated since the last century--literally! OK--picture me back then--100 pounds, Jordache jeans, feather bangs, braces, listening to The Police on an 8 track tape--at the drive in! My date--long hair parted down the middle, AC/DC necklace, Angel Flight pants and a Members Only jacket--trying to convince me that the view of the movie would be better from the back seat...
Fast forward almost 30 years...I don't weigh 100 pounds, tho the jeans are pretty nice and the braces have come off (and yes, Allison, the bangs are basically the same.) I'm still listening to The Police--tho on my iPod now. But--I have a hard time staying awake past 9pm!! I would actually rather have a date at 7AM than 7PM! And...I hate thinking of the whole, "Where did you grow up? How many brothers and sisters do you have? You were married HOW MANY years?" conversation! (Honestly, I don't really care where you've been...'where are you going' is really my only question.)
And here's the REAL deal. I'm a catch. I am! I am smart and cute and hilarious! (And oh so modest and humble.) But seriously...I have a great job, I own a home, I am financially independent--and I'm happy! My kids are great--grown and gone. My former husband is out of the picture. No baggage, no drama.
My future plans are to travel the world and to ride off into the sunset with the top down in a 911 Carrera. And an occasional baseball game. And lots (and lots) of kissing.
So I'm looking for a man who is pretty much in the same position and looking for those same things. But I guess I am not really even looking, you know? It has to be Mr. Right. And his first name needs to be ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT.
And there is no hurry.
Honestly, I'm not sure if Mr. Friday night is interested in anything more than dinner and conversation anyway. Really, it's just dinner. I don't know why I'm over-thinking it. I guess I'm just a little nervous...I know, I know...I'm sure it will be just fine.
And I'm meeting him at the restaurant, so I don't have to worry about him trying to get me into the back seat of the car.
But if he's wearing an AC/DC necklace...

11 comments:

Allison said...

Hilarious about the bangs...I almost stopped reading half-way through to comment that the bangs are still the same!

Oh, and don't judge a dude by his necklace...or age...I seem to learn that more everyday...

Have fun...and blog about it (I know you will)

TSHarrison said...

Well written.
Have fun!

Cathi said...

Julie, your date will be great! You're so great at talking with people and putting people at ease. And anyone smart enough to ask you out has got to have some qualities worth investing in. Just relax and have fun! Can't wait to read about it!

Heather McTaggart said...

I am excited and gitty for you! Are you going to wear the "HOT JEANS!?" Please say yes...they are HOT! Can't wait to hear about it...I wear the hot dress a week from this Friday...maybe you will need it for the next..I will RUSH it to the dry cleaner!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Relax lady...
Meeting at a restaurant is good ...
I bet HE's the one really sweating it...
You'll do good...
Will you guys go Dutch on the tab?

Chris T (alanna's mom) said...

Hey...if you let him know that the date will be blogged about....maybe he will be on best behavior or BETTER yet maybe he will make it more interesting....!
Oh yeah...Don't worry so much...theres always alcohol!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah love is in the air....again.

Gina Vistaunet said...

I'm happy you have a date!!! You may want to leave if he has an AC/DC necklace on, or Angel Flight pants or an 8 track player in the car.

Ann said...

Mister Friday Night is one lucky fellow.

Anonymous said...

I know a certain group of bellmen that can and will take care of this fella if he gets a little too handsy ya know!

Unknown said...

Julie, Have a great time tonight! Hopefully he will realize how lucky he is to be out with you. xoxoxo