Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Where I want to be in the OC

I have lived all 43 years of my life in Orange County, and have never lacked for something exciting to do, somewhere enjoyable to go or some excellent place to eat. And because I am fortunate enough to work at Montage Resort, I am actually PAID to continually check out the eateries, sites and attractions of our beautiful and bountiful county.
I know, but somebody's gotta do it.
Taking a cue from Josh Peters, I thought I'd share MY favorite places and my favorite ways to spend a day in the OC...
  1. Old Town Orange-Start with breakfast at Felix's Continental Cafe and spend the day walking through this beautiful little area which includes several antique stores, tea houses, and unique shops selling everything from old record albums to the metal lunch box you had in 3rd grade. (OK, that your dad had.)
  2. San Juan Capistrano-Lunch at The Teahouse at Los Rios , again lots of shops to browse around in and then a little wine and cheese at Napa Valley Wine Bar.
  3. Burke Williams Spa -the massage is just the beginning! After that you can stay the WHOLE day and use the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, quiet room & more. It's heavenly.
  4. Lucky Strikes Bowling- at the block in Orange. A little bowling followed by a little browsing in the great shops. Then lunch at Tu Tu Tangos and top off the afternoon with a couple of hot-out-of-the-oven Krispy Kremes and a chocolate milk. Oh yeah.
  5. Santa Ana Zoo-I went here when I was kid, then took my own kids. Now I take nieces or nephews or I borrow a kid so I can go see the monkeys and ride the elephant.
  6. Orange County Fair-start by checking out the 200 pound pumpkins, grab an eggroll on a stick, ride the giant ferris wheel, go see the 1000 pound bull and then stick around to hear DEVO or Peter Frampton in concert. Dang, I love the fair!
  7. Take in an Angel's Game. Get there about an hour early, get a hot dog, a beer and a bag of peanuts. Go watch batting practice and drink in the most spectacular sites and sounds in the world. NOTHING like a night at the park.
  8. A day in Laguna. Start with breakfast at The Cottage Restaurant. Walk around Laguna's breathtaking main beach and enjoy the surprising assortments of shops and galleries the town has to offer. Spend the afternoon at The Festival of Arts and The Sawdust Festival. So many fabulous dinner choices in Laguna...my new favorite is Mozambique. Finish the night off at the Pageant of the Masters. Stunning!
This is just the beginning! There's so much more to see! Let me know when you wanna join me at any of these places or one of YOUR favorites! I am always ready for an adventure.
And you know I am always ready for a good meal.

8 comments:

Allison said...

I'd like to go to Chipotle on El Toro Road. And then the Starbucks in the same parking lot.

Okay, and then the Zoo.

Julie Hibbard said...

I'm all in!! Tell me when!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I'll spend time with you at Burke Williams any time...any day.

Insured Asset Solutions said...

We should hit up the Balboa Peninsula this summer...I hear they have some great "refreshment stands" EVERYWHERE! ;-) ;-)

'neice said...

I read this and I cannot wait to hit the road at the crack of dawn on Friday! My chiropractor (in Irvine) is only there 'til 1 so I need to go see him! Then it is off to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (we so need this here) and Gelson's!

Brent said...

Good times.

PETE Di LALLO said...

there are some swell places I love to go to and some may be a little less expensive than most of yours...will get back tomorrow

(a preview)
the new chicken wraps at Micky Dees with Honey Mustard sauce...it's my favorite meal lately, and they're everywhere

Unknown said...

Some of my OC favorites:
*Walks on the Newport & Balboa Boardwalk
*Breakfast at Caffee Panini in Corona Del Mar Their mimosas are HUGE
*Spotting a whale or dolphin while ocean kayaking
*Drinks at Goat Hill Tavern
*Mother's Market
*Any spa with good treaments