Friday, April 13, 2007

Cal Worthington (and his dog spot)

I was just watching the Ducks game and a commercial featuring Cal Worthington came on! Dear Lord, I cannot believe that he is still around! So I googled Cal, and guess what?
He is 87 years old!

Remember the commercials? "Here's Cal Worthington and his dog spot." Only "spot" was never a dog. It was usually a tiger or a bear or an elephant.
Apparently Mr. Worthington's ads have worked well for him. He grosses over $300 million each year as the largest single owner dealership chain.
And he's still doing the commercials at 87. I'm not sure what happened to spot.
Sing it with me, "If you want a car or truck go see Cal...if you wanna save a buck, go see Cal..."
(Allison, you can sing the Pat Sajak version!)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I had totally forgotten about this!! Very funny memories of my childhood. It reminds me of the "If you don't want a lemon, see Toyota of Orange..." Are they still on the air in CA?

I went to a Salt Lake Bees Vs. Las Vegas 51s game tonight. It's the Angels farm club Vs. the Dodgers' club. The Dodgers won.

Brent said...

I thought he was dead. His voice (which didn't really sound like him) was on the last couple commercials I saw but no actual video of Cal. It's good to know he's still around.

Yay for watching the Ducks! 2-0!

PETE Di LALLO said...

I was watching the Duck game too and it looked like Cal was dead and someone was moving his lips with an invisibal stick and was lip-sinking (sp?)
I bet he doesn't drive a Dodge or Plymouth either...he's probably in a Bentley limo being driven by a guy dressed like Spot!

Allison said...

If you want to buy a vowel, go see Pat!

Josh(ua) Treece said...

this guy has commercials down here! He's standing on his head on the hood of a car!