Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor









When I was little, THIS was the place you went to have a real party! Farrells had GIANT ice cream sundaes, amazing sodas and floats and totally unique specialty desserts that brought along with them, attention from the crowd. One such dessert was the "Pig Trough"...it was somewhat like a banana split, but larger...and if you ate the whole thing, the waiters would all come over, attract the entire restaurant's attention and let them know that you had, "made a pig of yourself at Farrell's". You also received a ribbon to wear with pride. (If you shared the trough, they cut the ribbon in half...I have a few of those...)

On a really special occasion, we would order "The Zoo". From my memories, this was like 20 different scoops of ice cream in a giant silver punch bowl. It was topped with all sorts of flavors of toppings, nuts, and whip cream and these tiny little plastic animals. (Once in a while, we even got a plastic mermaid.) They brought "The Zoo" out on a stretcher of some sort--two guys had to carry it--with a siren playing so that everyone would see it arriving at your table...
It was our absolute favorite place to have a birthday party!!
As an added bonus, inside the restaurant they had a candy store with ALL the best candies: those dots you eat off the paper, wax bottles filled with liquid, pixie sticks, jawbreakers....
Yeah, those were the days....Anyone else remember Farrell's?

7 comments:

'neice said...

YES! When I was in college there wars still one in Rosemead and we used to go there for study breaks and drink part of a 32 oz shake there and bring the rest back to the dorm and finish it off! I went there as a kid in San Jose as well. That one is gone.

Jen Panunzio said...

I don't. But I remember those dots you eat off of the paper. So good!!!

Brent said...

Ziggy Piggy, Ziggy Piggy!

Brent said...

They need to bring this back.

PETE Di LALLO said...

Do I remember correctly that if you told them it was your birthday you got a free sundae?

Sarah said...

I don't remember it...We went to Swensons. Does that make me boring?

Heather McTaggart said...

TUSTIN AVENUE in Orange...yes, I remember this and I had friends who worked there! I loved the candy store on the way out....that you HAD to walk through to pay...so you had to buy the great candy! This place was AMAZING! And yes, you got a FREE sundae on your birthday! YEAH FOR FARRELLS MEMORIES! I love memory lane with Julie....what's next?!?!?