Saturday, April 14, 2007

The gift of the magi...kind of

When I was about 7 years old, my dad took me shopping to buy Christmas presents. I remember picking out gifts for everyone and buying a very special gift for my sister, Gina...a gift that I knew she would like, but I really wanted for myself.
We got home and my dad helped me to wrap the gifts in the garage, so none of the sisters would see them. The next night, he took Gina to do the same shopping. And, again, they wrapped the gifts in the garage and then put them all under the tree with the others.
Immediately I saw that Gina's gift for me was much bigger than the gift I had bought for her. It was in a very large box and I truly had no idea what it could be. I thought maybe she would like her own LARGE gift better than the very small gift I bought her and that maybe she'd let me keep my own gift.
Come Christmas morning, we began opening our presents (a very long process for DiLallos who open one at a time--that's another story!) When Gina unwrapped my gift she was so excited! She loved it so much and I was so glad that she did. She quickly handed me my gift from her--the large box--and I began to unwrap it.
Imagine my surprise when it was the exact same gift that I had given her!
A tiny Kiddle in a coke bottle!
Only recently have I realized how cool my dad was for wrapping the gift that way. Neither one of us knew until Christmas morning that we had given each other the same gift. The one that we both really wanted...

5 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Papa, he's the best!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

Is that a genie in the bottle? I thought that gene’s were Egyptian (like in Aladdin). And where's the turban?

Unknown said...

Very sneaky!!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Golly Gee!...'twas not that big a deal if you paid with your own money...I forgot...
didn't you?

Brent said...

Smart man, your father.