Monday, May 5, 2008

Wake up...can you smell your coffee?

Today as I was filling up my gas tank, I watched a man (with big hair) come out of the AM/PM (or whatever Shell calls their little store) with a large cup of coffee in his hand. He set the coffee on top of the car (you see where this is going) and fidgeted with his keys to open the car door. Then he got in.
Yep, his coffee was on the roof of his car.
Really? I mean, he wasn't even getting gas! He was parked in a regular spot and obviously went in to purchase a coffee...and then he didn't realize that he did NOT have it in the car when he drove off?? REALLY? I was not about to flag him down or wave at him. I am sorry. You're not a smart person. You deserve what's coming.
It reminded me of when Allison and I were in New York a couple of years ago and we saw a man driving with a Starbuck's cup on the roof of his car. Allison yelled out to him, "Hey, your coffee is on top of your car!" He slowed down next to us and rolled down his window. Allison went to grab the cup...and it was stuck to the roof. The guy said, "Thanks for letting me know about the coffee. I work at Starbuck's...here's a $5 gift card for being so kind."
So there you go. Leave it to Starbuck's. It was a very creative Publicity/Advertising stunt.
I guess I should have done the same for the man today.
Instead, I watched as he turned out of the gas station...the cup falling to the street, spilling coffee all over the roof of his car.
Really? You didn't even wonder why you were leaving the gas station? What you had stopped for? That you totally wanted a cup of coffee?
I gotta admit it. I laughed.
Of course then I realized that it had just cost me $53 to fill up my tank.
Guess I could have used a $5 gift card to the little gas station store.
I could have bought a 40 ouncer or a bottle of Boone's Farm...something to drown my sorrows.
Either way...I sure as hell wouldn't have left it on the roof of my car!

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Your stories remind me of my almost daily trip to Starbucks yesterday...I ordered coffee and handed the cashier a $50 gift card I received for my birthday in early April...she said I owed her another $1.05...it surprised the heck out of me for having spent $50in such a short time...
today I made coffer at home and put it in a Starbucks metal cup...it was (almost) just as good...

Heather McTaggart said...

That's funny stuff...I too would have watched in order to ignore the 98.00 it costs to fill my tank! Next week that will be 108.00! Getting gas stinks so watching something funny makes it ALL worth while...well, sort of!

Unknown said...

That is too funny! I get such a kick out of stupid people. Sadly, this amusement happens all too often.