Thursday, May 15, 2008

Life is (OH SO) Beautiful!

I was so blessed to be invited to join the celebration of my friend June's 80th birthday tonight. Yes, this gorgeous woman is 80 years old today! She just returned from a cruise with her husband of five years and before we even sat down she asked the waiter for a vodka martini with extra olives! Inspiration all the way around!
Ethel, June, Jack and Russel
Jack jokes that he and June have been married for over 100 years. He was married to his first wife for 55 years before she died and June was married to her first husband for 45 years before he died. And now, they have been married to each other for five years.
Ethel is my father's cousin. (Her maiden name is DiLallo!) She and Russell have been married over 60 years! That, along with great conversation about traveling, loving life and staying active (along with a bottle of wine!) made the evening so enjoyable and inspiring!
I have known and loved Ethel--who I believe is technically my second cousin--all my life! She has always been--and still is--so encouraging to me!
Each of these GREAT people--is over 80! And they are all actively living and loving life! Russell skied Mammoth a few months ago...they play tennis several times a week...they line dance and travel the world! I asked what the true secret to living a long, full life is...each gave one little bit of advice..."Stay active!" "Keep your mind going!" "Travel!" Then June took my hand and said, "Just laugh a lot." Amen.
No need to tell you that they all laughed at my apprehension about turning 45 next week.
Jack, who will be 86 at the end of the month, held up his glass of wine and said with a great big smile, "Hey! I am nearly double your age!"
Seriously, dining with these folks tonight was such a treat.
Ahh...to be living and loving life this same way forty years from now...
I'm all in.

3 comments:

Jay K said...

I think you are really cool! Thought you should know.

Eliane said...

The heart is the only way to tell someone's age.

PETE Di LALLO said...

I love these people too...
June is my kind of friend even though she has her vodka martinis up and I like 'em on the rocks with a twist.. I love extra olives...but you can fit more in 'rocks' than 'up'...
Ethel and Russ have always been an inspiration to me...