Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Time to retire?


Admittedly, there are two things I miss about being married: having someone who handles the finances and someone who takes care of the cars. (There's actually one other thing I miss...but let's not go there...)

Anyway, the other day I came out of work to find my front tire nearly flat. I stopped at the gas station and put air in the tire only to find it flat again by the time I got home.
The car is seven years old--I bought it used--and I am embarrassed to say, I have no idea how old the tires are. I took a few minutes to look at all of the tires and thought they looked a bit worn out and I was kinda bummed to think I would have to buy new tires...I know they're not cheap.
I was also concerned about going to the tire place...you know, a woman who doesn't know how old the tires are, doesn't really know if they are in decent shape or not and didn't even know what size they were. (Funny tho, I can remember that our Volvo Wagon took 195-60-15s--that must have been drilled in my head...) People are constantly warning me about being ripped off by mechanics or repair people. No, I don't see myself as that kind of woman, but I'm sure no one really does. I do know that I am WAY too trusting of people...it's hard for me to believe that any one would try to pull one over on me.
I made an appointment at Action Tires in Mission Viejo...a place we took our cars for tires over the last 20 years. When I went in, Graham at the front desk was SO kind. I told him what was going on...flat tire, filled it up, flat again, tires look a little shabby, etc.
Then I said, "Graham, I don't think I need new tires....I would just like your professional opinion on what needs to be done." He smiled, offered me a cup of coffee and said not to worry...they'd take care of it. I enjoyed the coffee (surprisingly!) but worried just the same. He could come back and tell me the tires were all shot and I would believe him. He could charge me an arm and a leg to change them all out...and I wouldn't have a clue if I had been ripped off or not.
A few minutes later Graham came to the waiting area and said, "Miss Hibbard, your tires are in good shape...though they DO need to be rotated. Oh, and we found a screw in that front one. We'll fix it for you."
I thanked him and thought to myself, Yikes, wonder what this is gonna cost me. Rotated? I wonder if that's just a scam!
I had no choice but to trust Graham at that point. He seemed like a bright kid--probably about the same age as my son--articulate, polite and very professional.
As he came back in, Graham said, "Ok Miss Hibbard...you're all set."
I thanked him and asked what I owed. (I had taken my credit card out of the lock box that morning and was prepared to put a chunk on it if necessary.)
"That'll be $10," he said as he handed me the invoice to sign. Seriously. Ten bucks.
I looked at him and smiled! "TEN dollars? TEN? Really?" I was amazed.
He said, "Yeah, the rotation is $10...we didn't charge you for the flat fixing...it was no big deal."
I thanked Graham, paid the bill and as I drove off I realized they had even washed my windshield.
See? Good as new!
And here you were all worried about me being ripped off...

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

I'm glad your tires work...will they get you to the Angel/Dodger game on Friday night? I will be there!! Let me know if you're going...I'd love to say hi =)