Friday, March 30, 2007

One of the best days of my life

...was the day I graduated from college seven years ago. I had finished one year of college before Allison was born in 1982 and I knew someday I would have a Bachelor's Degree. I just had no idea how long it would actually take to complete. From 1983 forward I took 2 or 3 classes every single semester for 17 years. I was married with two children, keeping a house, working at Coco's, being team mom and room mother and writing papers and doing homework with my kids and then writing MY papers and doing MY homework until late every night. I would bring my text books to read at Zac's baseball practice or while in the car waiting to pick up kids after school.
As 2000 approached, I decided to pick up the pace and take THREE classes those last two semesters so I could graduate at the same time Allison was graduating high school. At that point I was working at Saddleback, had two kids in high school and I knew it would be tough. But I also knew it was time. We would BOTH be Class of 2000!
Honestly, there were so many times over those 17 years when I was ready to give up. And there were ALWAYS people who would tell me I was crazy. They would say, "It's gonna take you 20 years to finish--you'll be 40 years old by then!"
My answer was always the same: "How old will I be in 20 years if I DON'T finish?"
Exactly. I would rather be 40 WITH a degree than without it. AND THE TIME GOES BY ANYWAY! As it turned out, I graduated 8 days after my 37th birthday. One super sweet day!
We threw a big party after the ceremony. The invites read: After 17 years, 28 semesters and layer upon layer of parking stickers, Julie Hibbard is finally graduating college.
All my friends and family came to celebrate...all who had supported and encouraged me over the many, many years!
I am so thankful to have my Bachelor's Degree in Communications from Cal State Fullerton. Even my diploma is something I am proud to display at my home. It tells the story of a goal, a dream, and something that I worked very hard for. It was an amazing feeling of accomplishment.
I am still always the biggest cheerleader for those who want to go back to school and finish--or start!--their degree. I especially encourage those who have to work and/or raise children at the same time. Hang in there! Keep going! Finish the race!
It was one of the greatest feelings I have ever known.
Actually, it still feels good.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Awww, Julie! I'm so proud of you!

Allison said...

We had so much Class of 2000 junk at the house...it was crazy!

Kurt Johnston said...

I'm re-inspired. I have been slowly working on my Master's for the past 3 years and have somehow slowed down with only a couple projects left. I WILL PREVAIL!

Heather McTaggart said...

Julie, I read your blogs because you make me laugh, inspire me, and I love hearing your joy come out in your words! On this note, I would like to say that I am proud of your accomplishments and we are just in the "talks" of this mommy going back to school. I will take this as more "Julie Inspiration" to keep working towards this goal! THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORDS AND LAUGHTER AGAIN!

Sarah said...

What a great thing to accomplish! I LOVE learning...I rushed through college and wish I could go back and take more classes.