Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Casper Cup

When my kids were little, I did a lot of gardening. I battled snails like crazy and quickly learned that dropping them in beer killed them instantly. I would fill up a cup with beer and go snail collecting. I would then dump the contents of the cup--beer, snails and all--in the trash and put the cup in the dishwasher. I always used the same cup--the Casper Cup.
The funny thing is, my kids would NEVER use this cup to drink out of--never! Even if it went through 10 dish washing cycles. But they WOULD give it to their friends, as kind of an "inside joke" that only the three of us knew about. Many times I would come into the kitchen and Zac had poured a drink for himself and a friend...and the friend would have the Casper cup. We had one annoying neighbor that we ALWAYS gave the Casper cup to. Once in a while, someone would grab that cup out of the cabinet and we would all yell, "NO! Not that cup!" But, we usually let people drink out of it. And we'd just smile at each other.
Now that I think about it, that was pretty disgusting. But totally funny.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to get my own Casper cup. My garden snails have killed my dandelions and any other pretty flower I plant by my front door.

Allison said...

There was really only one person we ever let drink out of it...and he deserved it!

Brent said...

It's the little things. I'm glad I never got the Casper cup. (You know, that one time I was over.)

Julie Hibbard said...

There was actually a certain pastor's kid who was also treated to the Casper cup, I believe.
My sister Gina just called and she's pissed.
She saw the blog and knows that she drank from this cup on many occasions. Yikes.

andrea said...

in high school used to give people i didn't like as well the glass that had a chip at the top. a couple of times they would cut their lip... not big, just enough to go "ow." then i would say "oh... let me get you another glass" as i chuckled inside. wow... haven't thought about that in awhile. how evil...

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! It will take me forever to finish reading your blog - it is O sso wonderful and I have to pause to giggle and laugh.