Saturday, August 18, 2007

Money

In the last five days I have had four people ask me for money. Not ask to borrow money...asked for money. To be honest, this is a really tough area for me. I have worked since I was 14 years old. In all that time (30 years!) I have taken only a month off to have a baby (twice.) I have never NOT had a job. I raised two children, went to school, and ran a highly efficient household at the same time. I have never called in sick. Never.
I thank my former husband for teaching me the key to finacial independence: you have to spend less than you earn. I learned my work ethic from him as well. He never called in sick either. He has worked hard for everything he has--and he has a lot--but nothing was given to him. (He used to tell me that he made money the old fashion way--he earned it!)
I guess I feel the same way. I have worked hard for what I have. And I still work very hard. I get up at 4:30 each day to get to my job on time and run around and smile and make it look effortless so that I can pay my mortgage, buy food and pay the bills. I live in condo and drive a six year old--paid for--Volkswagen. My paychecks vary from week to week so I have to watch all my spending accordingly. And I do.
Which brings me back to the people who have asked me for money. It's the toughest situation for a person like me (a hard working NICE person) to be in. I kindly ask two questions: "Are you spending more than you make and can you come up with ways to cut your expenses?"
Here's what I am trying to say--YOU MUST SPEND LESS THAN YOU MAKE! How? Here's a few suggestions and the ways that I am able to stay financially independent. (Isn't that the goal?)
  1. Stop eating out. Bring your lunch to work. Eat breakfast and dinner at home. A box of cereal is $3 and a box of pasta is 99cents. (Eating out occasionally is quite a treat for me.)
  2. Stop buying bottled water and drink your coffee at home.
  3. Stop shopping! Do you NEED more magazines, books, DVDs? Probably not. Go to the library. Do you NEED more shoes/clothes? Come on.
  4. Down grade your cable service (dare I say CANCEL?), use your cell phone less (cheaper plan?) and turn off lights in your home. Watch gas and grocery prices carefully.
  5. Figure out what you can SELL! Garage sale, Ebay, Craig's list. Get rid of it and make some money.
Bottom line:
Live below your means. Spend less than you make. Figure out what you need. Sell what you don't. Try hard to NOT have to borrow money. Get used to working AND work hard.
I promise you will feel better about yourself and appreciate EVERYTHING a lot more!

I'd love to write more...but I have to get ready for work. I picked up two shifts this weekend to help pay for my vacation.

4 comments:

Ange said...

AMEN! I'm going to start calling you Suze Orman.

PETE Di LALLO said...

THOSE ARE MIGHTY WORDS FOR ALL TO LIVE BY

PETE Di LALLO said...

I will pick you up at 4:30 AM for that WELL EARNED VACATION!
Nothing like getting started early, eh?

Unknown said...

I can't believe someone asked you for money. You work so hard for all that you have, I would think that others see that and would inspire them to do the same.
Have a great trip and know that we are all living vicariously through you.