Friday, August 3, 2007

Funeral for a friend

I just returned from my friend, Rebecca's funeral. Well, they called it a memorial...either way, it was the most I have cried in a long long time. The picture above was on her 46th birthday just a few months ago...She had received chemo that whole week, but was smiling and OH so cheerful as we had breakfast together that day at Montage. Two years ago, she had been given 6 months to live. She cheated cancer for a bit, but today, it was the packed church of people who knew we had all been cheated.
Rebecca was happy all the time. ALL the time. And she made everyone around her happy. We all knew that she had issues--even pre-cancer days--but Rebecca smiled through life and fought her battles with dignity and a sense of humor. She was soft spoken and full of kindness. Seriously, she was one of the nicest people I have ever known. Rebecca also went to college while she was raising kids...just like I did. She received her bachelor's degree in just 10 years! (Mine took 17...) She had passion for living and loving life.
Today, I watched Rebecca's mother cry for her lost daughter. I sobbed while I watched Rebecca's son comfort his crying sister. I lost it when her son read a letter that Rebbeca had written to be read at this memorial. She thanked all of US for being there for her and for loving her and for letting her love us! I KNOW there was not a dry eye in the place...this hit all of us deeply.
On the way home I wondered...who will be at my memorial service? Who will speak? What will they say? I thought how lucky Rebecca was, in a way, because she prepared a bit and was able to say goodbye and tell people she loved them. I thought of those killed in the bridge collapse this last week in Minnesota. I hope they knew they were loved and I hope they had told others that THEY were loved. And I really hope they were loving and living their lives...
Love and live YOUR life.
And, if you are reading this, chances are--I love you. And I thank you for being part of my life.

4 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

Julie as tears are pouring down my cheeks reading this, I just want you to know she was SO lucky to have you as a friend! I raised a child who died of cancer in our arms, hardest most tragic thing I have EVER done...but she knew she was loved, she knew God loved her, she KNEW WE AND I LOVED HER ENOUGH TO HAND HER TO GOD! This was a hard day for you but just know that EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS CROSSED YOUR PATH IS BLESSED TO KNOW YOU AND WILL BE THERE TO WALK YOU TO JESUS WHEN THE TIME COMES AND NOT A DAY BEFORE! Realizing how grateful we are for our lives but also grateful for people like you who breath our way and cross our sidewalk even for a moment is a blessing! LOVE YOU JULIE HIBBARD!

Gina Vistaunet said...

Between your blog and Heather's comments, I am crying.

Heather McTaggart said...

I can't get your blog tonight off my mind as I struggle today with some "stuff." I want to say that I love that you said..."Love and live YOUR life." We forget what a gift it is to love and live our lives and appreciate the gifts we are given to do that in such a great way..our families, children, friends! THANKS AGAIN FOR REMINDING US during your pain today!

Brent said...

Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Love you Jules. Let's do lunch soon to catch up, and I promise to catch up on your blog cause I'm way behind. See you soon.