Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The Holidays are over...now what?


Glad you asked!
Here are THREE books that you should seriously consider purchasing...you will never be bored again.
1. 1001 Books you must read before you die There are probably books on this list that you have never heard of, some you have read, wish you had read, or were supposed to have read, but mostly, it is filled with books you will WANT to read. All of the books listed have summaries of the story--kinda like Cliffs Notes, but also include the background of the author and era it was written and the impact it has had on society. Get on Amazon and buy them used!
2. 1001 Movies you must see before you die Similar to the "books" book, there are many movies on this list that you probably never heard of. I LOVE, that in addition to a summary about the movie's plot, the author of this book tells you WHY you should see the movie and things to look for throughout the movie. This book was published with several different covers. Mine has Jack Nicholson on the front from the Shining. (short side note--I went on a date to that movie when I was in high school and when I got home, I was so scared, I went and got in bed with my parents) Make your Netflix list with this book in tow.
3. 1000 Places to see before you die I LOVE this book and have high lighted all the places I have been! The author traveled the world for seven years to research and write this book. Lucky girl! Her criteria for a "must see" location--that it is "truly completely, and undeniably inspiring." I have been to about 150 of these "must sees" including the trip to "Pike's Market", and "Ray's Boathouse" in Seattle just last week. (I don't know how "inspiring" Pike's Market really is, but to see the first Starbucks was pretty cool...and the view of Pugent Sound from Ray's was a moving experience indeed.) From monuments, markets and mountains to falls, forts and festivals and OH so much more!! If you are headed somewhere, pick up the book and see what she suggests you see while you are there. If you are looking for somewhere to go, this is PACKED with ideas and "inspiration" for travel. My copy is falling apart!
If nothing else, all three of these would be EXCELLENT bathroom books! And, as a bonus, if necessary, you could seriously injure an intruder by hurling any one of these.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Way to be safety-minded Jules.