Monday, January 15, 2007

Before Sunset

My friend left a DVD on the porch for me. She emailed me this afternoon saying that it reminded her of me and that I should watch it as soon as I could. I put it on, no idea what to expect. What a very special treat it was.
"Before Sunset" written by and starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy
Imagination required,ok? --They enjoyed a brief romance several years ago...now they've met again, and there's so much they remember and so much they want to tell each other. Despite the fact that he is married and she has an out of town lover, they share that they never forgot the other and how deeply and profoundly they still love and care for one another. Though they had only known each other for a short time in the past, it seems that they've been dreaming of each other all these years, and now fate has brought them back together, if only for a brief conversation, before sunset. They do not kiss, they only talk, and sing, and gaze. It has one of those ambiguous endings, (like life?) so you're not really sure how it "ends". It is simple yet deep and their conversation is brilliant, lovely and amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I was indeed, reminded of the absolute "hopeless yet hopeful" romantic that I really am. Of course, maybe it just reminded my friend of me because of it's filmed entirely on the beautiful streets and rivers of Paris...
When you have a chance, please watch this movie, and then, if you can, let me know how it ends.

And here I had planned to blog about the "all-you-can-eat hot dog bleachers" at Dodger Stadium...

2 comments:

Andrew said...

This movie demands my viewing based on the fact that you recommend this movie and that it is also #190 on iMDB's top 250. I'll let you know what I think when I see it. I have trouble passing up good movies.

Julie Hibbard said...

Let me know how you like it, Andrew!