Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dr. Mario

I am on the lookout for a Nintendo 64 (or maybe Super Nintendo) system and an old Dr. Mario game! I mastered Dr. Mario and completed all 21 levels several years back...I think it was when I needed something to do while waiting for teenagers to get home!
Allison and I used to play til all hours of the night. (We even made up a song to sing with the background music!) Zac would play with me too, but only out of sympathy...he hated the game. I think I beat just about every kid who came into our home and could be convinced to play with me. I would even play on more difficult levels and STILL beat everyone. Until one night when Allison's friend, Chris Glinsky OFFERED to play with me. I should have known. He knew defensive strategies for Dr. Mario that I had only dreamed of...I was stripped of my crown...and I am still in awe.
Any other Dr. Mario fans out there? I am ready to play again.

5 comments:

blythe said...

Julie:
Thanks for the comment! You make a good point. I think I wrote the blog in a moment of extreme frustration, since in my experience, when I've been asked the question it's rarely followed by any suggestions or encouragement (except by family members, thank goodness). I think it is important to help a child figure out what he/she loves to do and encourage them to pursue their passions, but I just worry about the feelings of insecurity that are fostered every time a person is met with impatience/condescension rather than encouragement when they don't know what they want to do or if what they want to do isn't realistic or financially ambitious enough.
I think I just overthink some of these things..but it's something that's been on my mind lately.

Allison said...

Can't do that to me, no you can't do that, can't do that...can't do that to me, no you can't...you can't

Brent said...

Ah, good ol' Dr. Mario.

Chris definitely is a tough opponent, but I'm sure those kids are keeping him busy these days. He's probably out of practice. I think you could take him.

Matt Jensen said...

I own Dr. Mario...I own a SNES...and soon... I will own you (not in a literal way, but figuratively, because I will beat you at Dr.Mario...just wanted to clarify that in case of any confusion)

Jen Panunzio said...

I think that I used to always beat Matt at Dr. Mario so I don't know what he is talking about. I also would always beat him at Tetris. Have you played that in awhile? I had a gameboy and that game when I was in the hospital last year and I would play it all the time. Whenever I did, I wouldn't have any contractions because I was so focused and not moving!! It was great!