Thursday, August 11, 2011

Start spreading the news...

Back in my old life, we took MANY trips to New York City--my most favorite city in the world. We had a nearly annual tradition of visiting the Big Apple--diligently attempting to go at a different time of year every time. I'm lucky enough to have seen snow in Central Park in Winter (to the tune of 18 degrees), flower stands BRIMMING with Iris and Sunflowers in Spring, I've sweltered in the 90% humidity of Manhattan's Summer and been captivated by the GLORIOUS colors of a New York Fall! I've been to BOTH Yankee Stadiums and stood on the route of the Macy's Day Parade! I've seen fireworks over the Hudson River on 4th of July, celebrated Thanksgiving Day with snow on the ground, and have seen the FABULOUS tree (which I can never take enough pictures of) at Rockefeller Center--several times. I have even been to the traditional Halloween Parade in Greenwich Village...to which, there are no words. (Be sure to ask my mother sometime about getting on the wrong Subway at the Brooklyn Bridge...it's a story she DELIGHTS in telling over and over again!)
Most of the time, we rented an apartment on the Upper West Side...so we could feel like we lived there! It was at the Olcott--27 West 72nd at Central Park West which just happens to have a Dallas Bar B Que in the lobby. Having quickly become a favorite of our NYC traditions, the very FIRST thing we ALWAYS did was head to dinner for a NY's finest BBQ chicken, cold slaw, cornbread and honey butter at Dallas BBQ! It's still always on the must-visit list when we are in town now and always HIGHLY recommended to friends who are visiting NYC.

The BEST and most favorite of our New York traditions was seeing a Broadway Musical (sometimes two!) I am OVERJOYED to have been to at least a couple of dozen Broadway plays over the last 25 years! Honestly, there is nothing I LOVE more than getting all dressed up fancy and going to the theater! I LOVE the smell and sounds and FEELING of live theater! I love leafing through the Playbill and ALWAYS thoroughly enjoy the decor and architecture of every one of those amazing old theaters. Love the live orchestra, the costumes, the lights...Still, today, going to a musical is top on my favorite things to do list!

For that lasting bit of Hibbard tradition, we always bought the poster of the plays we experienced, carried them home--gingerly--on the plane, had them framed and hung them (very proudly) in our home.

When I moved out of the house in 2005, I must admit, the last thing on my mind were those posters. But over the years, I have often wished that I had them. They were so beautiful and such a reminder of the great SONGS and incredible MUSIC, SO rich in tradition...and SO full of memories of our trips to New York.

As I thought about how I might decorate my new home, I once again wished I had those posters. I decided to text my former husband to see, if by chance, he had them in storage and would like to give them to me! (Hey, it never hurts to ask!) Within a few minutes, he text me back a photo of the posters, hanging on the wall of his home. I thanked him for getting back to me so quickly and let him know how nice they looked at his new place.

But you know me...I really wanted those posters.

So I had to come up with Plan B.
I immediately got online--eBay, Amazon, Broadwayposters.com--you name it...and I bought FIFTEEN of the posters--all for less than $50! I quickly jumped over to Target.com and bought FIFTEEN black frames ($9.99 each)...et VOILA!My Broadway Musical walls in my new home will be a reality!
I know EXACTLY how they will be hung--three rows of four posters on the main wall in the living room. South Pacific, Oklahoma and The Music Man will be hung in the guest bathroom as they each l have a very 'retro', almost 1950s look to them!
(I know, I should have been Marion!)
Oh, the South Pacific, Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, Wicked and Evita posters should be here any day now--those were each 69 cents on eBay!

There were a few posters that I was not able to locate...The Secret Garden, Damn Yankees, Once on this Island, Grease, Three Penny Opera...and a few other oldies. I'll definitely be on the lookout for those.

I'm absolutely stoked tonight as I look at these posters that SERIOUSLY make me happy!
Same joy, same songs, same memories.


I should get the keys to my home first thing next week...
Let me know when you want to come over and sing a few show tunes...
'There were bells on the hills, but I never heard them ringing, no I never heard them all,
til there was you....
'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE them...What a new way to start your new place.You are truly blessed to have such great memories.I know that you will look like you've been there for years. Thanks again for last night. MOM

MD said...

There were birds in the sky but I never saw them winging. No, I never saw them at all till there was you! 138

Zuzana said...

Are you moving again Julie?
Congratulations on finding the posters you liked.;) At least you and your ex shared the same taste.;))
Have a great weekend dear Julie,
xoxo

Sonja said...

You're entitled to half of the posters at the ex's, ya know. :)

Julie Hibbard said...

They actually look really nice the way he has them at his home and I know they are good memories for him too.

And, believe me, the peace I have with him after all these years is worth far more than any poster, for sure.