Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Extreme Makeover--Day One

Started the clean up with a little rodent removal...poor guy probably died in 1995...he was removed in three pieces (along with SIX other rat traps in the attic!) That's Gina's father in law, Al...he also went through every single item on the inspector's report and fixed, took care of and checked off everything for me!
I scrubbed and scoured and bleached the kitchen counters...using a toothbrush on every single inch of the grout. I washed and cleaned out all the cabinets and got a little more than half of them lined with shelf paper.
My friend, Sonja spent HOURS cleaning the guest bathroom, sweeping and washing and making sure that vent got thoroughly dusted and cleaned! We decided to take the mirrors off the walls in both bathrooms--and we took off the glass shower doors too. Why not?!
Those lights are the next thing to go!
When Kelly wasn't busy taking fixtures off the walls, she was working hard in the Master bathroom--I told her to do an EXTRA good job cleaning that giant tub (I can't wait to get in it!)
We took down all the shelving in the extra bedroom and patched up all the holes.
The guy doing the baseboards was there most of the day too! (How great do THOSE look?!) We decided we'd go ahead and throw out that carpet while we were there! (Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE to be productive? Gratefully, all my friends do too!)
Seriously, the baseboards turn me on! What a difference!
Gina joined us after work and instantly started washing windows and light fixtures. She swept and cleaned the outside stairs, scrubbed the laundry room and, more than anything, totally added to the fun. We played 80s music the entire time and definitely MORE than earned our delivered (and OH so delicious!) pizza dinner.

All I can say is, I WISH I had a dime for every time someone said they needed, wanted or could use 'caulk' or 'a screw'...

All the appliances will be delivered in the morning and the painters will be doing the majority of their work tomorrow as well! Hooray! Day Two will begin bright and early for me as I was stoked to find out that Home Depot opens at 6am!! I have a long list of things that need to be purchased to make sure tomorrow is another very productive day!

Interestingly enough, 'caulk' is at the top of my list.

7 comments:

md said...

Amazing Productivity today!!138

Zuzana said...

What a wonderful start on your renovation! It is so good to have friends that can help, good luck on the progress, looking forward to see how it proceeds.;)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

There's nothing "fancy-schmancy" about your choice of words!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Great friends and title...

Kelly said...

So much fun!!!....(and so much better than going to the gym)! XO

Anonymous said...

You are truly the only one I know that has so much fun while doing sooooo much work... You are truly blessed to have such lovely and helpful friends and relatives...you deserve all your love.

Sonja said...

OMG I'm just catching up on your blog and realizing that horrendous picture of me has been posted for 8 days already. Please crop off my arm and my ass.