Sunday, August 21, 2011

Go work on your house, Julie

Six years, seven months and ten days...
(Not that I’m counting but) that’s how long I have lived on my own. (I beg of you) please do not tell me that you can’t believe it’s been that long. To me, I must admit, it seems like a very long time.

If you had told me when I left my other life that I’d be alone for seven years, I would have never believed you. I have so much love and affection to give…and SUCH a desire to KNOW someone intimately (and to be KNOWN by someone) and such a thirst to BE with someone—romantically and passionately—that, honestly, I would have thought we’d be celebrating our five year anniversary at this point.

Nope. Actually, somewhere around year two of single hood, I realized it was not going to happen for a while. And, honestly, most of the time, it's really been just fine.

You can tell me I’m too picky (or particular), that I need to learn to compromise (or settle) or that it’s going to happen when I least expect it (gag!)…but the LAST thing I am going to do is be with ANYONE who doesn't realize that I am the catch of a lifetime (next only to him, of course!)

Interestingly, I have continuously told friends that I believe MY soul mate, MY prince charming (I suppose he is possibly KING Charming at this point) is just not single.
Yet.

And deep into my seventh year on my own, I am quite aware of the fact that there is certainly nothing that I can do to make it happen any sooner.

Gratefully, I am also quite aware of the fact that I am quite capable of doing just about anything else on my own. Actually, I am able to do practically everything else on my own. I am certainly not sitting here waiting for him to knock on the door.
Instead, over the last six years I’ve traveled Europe three times, I went on a missions trip to Kenya and enjoyed MANY trips to New York City, Seattle, San Francisco and more! I've been to NINE ballparks in the last several years and have made an annual tradition of going to Dodgers' Spring Training in Phoenix with my cousins Sherri and Robin. Hell, I've bought two homes and purchased four cars! I've (finally) learned to balance a checkbook and even made a little money in the stock market. I have so many amazing friends and a loving family around--plenty of people to do things with!

Now I'm just looking forward to having someone to do nothing with.
(Except kiss a lot, of course...)

I'll admit it, I am VERY picky! But I’m also (obviously) not in any hurry. I’ve learned how lovely it is to be alone and I already know (from YEARS of experience) that it’s better to be on my own than to be with the wrong person or someone who doesn’t really want to be with me at all.

I don’t want to be anyone that someone else settles for either! I’m a prize, and at this point--(let's face it, I'm almost 50!)--I’m very happy with who I am, where I’m at in life and even with where I’m going!
I just look forward to him coming along.

eHarmony? Ehhhh. It's just not for me. I went on for about 2 weeks. Met one guy--the infamous Brad from San Diego. Yep, that was the 45 minute date. Not to be confused, of course, with the 25 minute date with Paul, the tequila salesman. Come on, if we run out of conversation before dinner arrives, let's face it, you're not the one!

Match.com? Well, yes, several years ago I was on match.com too...for maybe three weeks. One run in with a guy who confused Wrigley for Fenway—and I quickly cancelled my subscription. Hey, if you're going to pretend to like baseball, you're going to have to do a little research! Or, better idea, how about just being honest with me!

Too picky? Too bad. (Give me a guy who can truly talk baseball and it’s sweet music to my ears!)

What? He talks baseball and loves music and wants to see Tuscany? Wait! He wants to kiss me a lot? Tells me I’m beautiful and knows how I take my coffee? Holds the door, my hand and my heart?
Yep. THAT’S the one I’m waiting for.

And when he shows up, I have NO DOUBT, that I will know him instantly!
And he will be SO worth the wait...the ONLY one who is worthy of all this love I have to give!

And he'll be one HAPPY guy, let me tell you! He will NEVER stop smiling.
I guarantee it.

Til then…
I’ll be working on my house.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

My dear Julie, excellent post so reflecting my own sentiments.
Unlike you, I have lived alone for almost 25 years and I have been in so many bad relationships during that time, that I lost count.
I am so like you, passionate and giving and the men I was with seemed to only use that in their advantage, never giving anything back.
All I ever dreamed off was having a man that would simply just love me the way I was and a family of my own and that dream seemed so very distant the older I got...
But when I was lying in my bed all alone late at night, I felt so much like you, that he was out there somewhere. I simply just have not met him yet.
When I was just about to give in, I met the man I have been waiting for. I do not know what the future has in store for us or if it will last, but it has been the most beuatiful experience so far, on every level.
So all I am saying Julie, just hold on to your optimism and your hope. It will happen, I am a living proof of that.;)
xoxo

md said...

Someone like yourself, who is so inspiring and such a wonderful writer deserves the very best. If that man is out there, he has been looking for you for a long time. The two of you will eventually meet and maybe just maybe he will know it's you that he has been searching for all this time. And he will hold you and never let you go. 138