Monday, August 8, 2011

Good Charlotte

This is my dear friend, Charlotte. And that, yes THAT is her (beloved) dirty martini.
Charlotte is a regular at the hotel--she lives across the street--and I have the great JOY--the real privilege--of visiting with her once a week or so. Today Charlotte came in with some family members and was SO excited to bring them to my desk and introduce them all to me! After catching up, they headed out for lunch at Mosaic--which was to be a continuation of Charlotte's NINETIETH birthday celebration! Her birthday is actually just few days--and forty two years--before mine, but Charlotte says she's celebrating this one all year long!

I think what I love most about Charlotte is that she comes in by herself most of the time. Dressed in matching shirts and hats, decked out in serious walking shoes and wearing a gigantic smile--every single time. She's always so genuinely happy to see me, will put her elbow on my desk and want to know what's new in my life. I fill her in a bit, she tells me of her latest adventures, then she usually asks me to walk with her over to one of the restaurants.
I always (very happily) oblige.

If it's Sunday afternoon, the last seat at the bar has been saved for her arrival. She'll ask a good looking manager or waiter for a boost onto the bar stool (she is all of four foot nine, if that!) and then anxiously looks forward to seeing which of her boyfriends is working the bar. No need to tell you that the bartenders absolutely LOVE her--AND they each know exactly how she likes that martini! (Though she's confided in me that one of them makes it better than all the rest!)
Well into year 91 on the planet now, Charlotte continues to travel extensively, walk on the beach each day and thoroughly read through the New York Times, which is tucked in her bag at all times. She also drinks dirty martinis on a (very) regular basis.

Today I told Charlotte that I want to be JUST like her when I am 90!
I told her that I look forward to bellying up to that bar and JOINING her!!

She laughed and winked and said with a smile,
"I'll save you a seat."

2 comments:

Sweet Lu said...

LOVE THIS POST! What an inspiration and so very cute too!

robin_brown_62 said...

Charlotte looks like a very sweet lady. I want to be like her when I'm 90 also! You and I will have to have seats next to each other at the bar...save me a seat ;)