Saturday, April 5, 2008

Tea at the Empress

This is the world-renowned Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. When Allison and I were in Seattle for vacation last year, we took a one-day excursion to Victoria to see the beauty of the city and experience "Tea at the Empress." I must admit that this visit had been a long-time dream of MINE, and not necessarily Allison's, but she came along for the adventure. The whole Victoria experience has turned into a "new" favorite memory!
Out front of the Empress...

And, inside for tea. OK, here's the 'memorable' part. The food you see here at the table--yeah, THAT is the world famous "tea"--four tiny finger sandwiches, two baby scones and a freaking candy cane! Cost: $125. We are laughing in the picture because we could not believe what a piddly amount of food we were served! I mean, come on--Allison and I are EATERS! We knew it would be tea sandwiches and scones and such, but for $125--we were expecting to EAT a whole lot of them! You know me and Allison--we made fun of it the whole time--it was hilarious.
To top it all off, Allison did not like any of it, while I, of course, devoured each little morsel, scraping out every last drop of the sample-size jellies. And, I must admit, the tea itself was delicious. Allison was starving when we left...so we ended up going straight from The World Famous Empress Hotel of Victoria to Mc Donald's of Victoria where she thoroughly enjoyed a 9-piece McNugget and a large fry. (Cost: 5 bucks.)
The highlight of Victoria BC turned out to be "Miniature World", an old museum of miniature sets, doll houses, street scenes and more. We spent a couple of hours there and had a blast.

Every time I hear anyone say they are going for Tea at the Empress in Victoria, BC, I laugh...and I say, "For the love of God...pack a lunch! And check out Miniature World."

Two round-trip Ferry tickets from Seattle to Victoria-$150
Tea for Two at the Empress-$125
Memories of over-priced finger sandwiches, the best Chicken McNuggets ever and miniature scenes of the battle of Gettysburg--
PRICELESS

2 comments:

Allison said...

I had forgotten the trip to McDonald's...but I will never forget Miniature World...If I ever make a guide book, that will be my number one Victoria spot!

Heather McTaggart said...

We did this same trip only we were on a cruise and that was one of the stops! I took TONS of pictures of my girls at the "Empress!" We pretended to have "tea" because of timing we couldn't make "tea time" but we had SO much fun pretending! The pictures are stuck on the broken lap top (the old one) but I would LOVE to see them again SOME day! Great memories!