Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Son, can you play me a memory?

I was there! (And yes, he certainly could use an eye lift.)
His first line of the show: "Hello everybody. I'm Billy Joel's Dad."
Throughout the workweek, my friend, Carl and I had talked about trying to get tickets to his concert. Saturday night, we decided to just go to the box office and see what was available...We ended up THIS close to him!
Billy Joel hasn't released a new album in over 20 years, and for the love of God, why would he? I am certainly not the only person who has purchased all of his records several times. On cassettes, 33s, 45s, CDs and on iTunes. (And, hard as it is to admit, I'm pretty sure I had "The Stranger" on 8-track. Yikes)
Billy performed his phenomenal repertoire of classic songs for two and a half FABULOUS hours. I smiled and laughed throughout the show as I kept saying to my friends, "OH, I LOVE this song!"...and sang every single word to every single one.
Truthfully, I really don't even want to hear an old favorite artist's attempt at NEW music.
I just want him to sit up there and sing me the sound track to my memories.
Billy Joel did just that.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I'm so jealous! I love Billy Joel!

Anonymous said...

Weird! I just happened on your blog tonight and I as at that concert too! It was so great.

Heather McTaggart said...

That is SO FUN! SO lucky!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

Did you know he was a high school drop out? My dad went to high school with him (Billy was a year ahead of my dad).