Saturday, February 23, 2008

I can see clearly now...

As my friends and I approach our mid forties, the subject of eye sight comes up quite often. Each time we go to dinner, my friend Kelly announces to us that she is old, grabbing glasses from her purse to read the menu. Other friends say, "I can see just fine", then hold the menu at arms length squinting and hoping to make out something that they can just order!
I refuse to say that I am getting old. "Older" yes. But never old. I know this is the youngest I am ever going to be and I hope to get a whole lot older....but never old.
So here's something interesting...I started wearing (very un-attractive) glasses in the fourth grade. (I promise you, every last photo of this has been destroyed) and, though I NEVER wore them in high school, I did find the need to wear them again several years later, when I began depending on my five year old to read street signs to me. About 10 years ago, I started wearing contacts and had the exact same prescription up until the last few annual checkups...when my eye site started to gradually improve.
The last few times I've been to the optometrist, (OK, the Wal Mart Eye Center) she would tell me that I needed an even weaker prescription. And in an attempt to keep up with my ever-decreasing nearsightedness, we kept experimenting. We tried lessening both lenses, lessening just the left one, wearing only one, and the last time, she gave me the lowest strength bi-focal contacts. I even tried a (very hip) pair of "just for driving" glasses. It was crazy tho-nothing was helping me see clearly. I was suddenly NOT able to read menus and couldn't even read the speedometer, much less street signs! I would end up taking them out after a few hours...the contacts were actually impairing my vision.
When I went this past October, the optometrist did several extra tests...then she told me that I could actually get along quite well without any contacts at all.
I have not worn anything since...and it's been great. The only time I have any trouble "seeing" now is when something or someone is, for example, at the end of the hall at the hotel. If someone waves at me from 100 yards or so, I usually just can't quite make out the face. Of course I always smile and wave...
The thing is, I seem to do this "attempted fixing" in a lot of areas of my life. I think, "If I just had a bigger house, or a back yard or if I just had more money or A MAN or a Porsche...then maybe things would look better to me."
Truth is...everything is pretty darn good just the way it is. I need to relax and enjoy and stop trying to "fix" it.
Thinking deeply this morning (as always), and seeing very clearly.

No comments: