Friday, February 23, 2007

One of my favorite people in the whole world

Each year, about this time, I begin to eagerly anticipate the sight and sound of Vin Scully and the JOY of him becoming part of my life again. Vin and I spend just about every night of the week together from April to October. His voice, his endearing stories, his unbelievable knowledge and love of baseball enhancing my life each and everyone one of those nights. Mid-way through each telecast he gives a "20 years ago on this date..." or "on this date in 1965..." trivia story. Truth is, he can tell Dodger stories of 50 plus years ago--he has been with them 58 years! He ends that segment with "...that was quite a game...let's go back to this one..." And I always say it with him. There's a TV in my bedroom for just one reason: the occasional Dodger games that run past my bed time. I never turn off a game before it's over--cause 'it ain't over til it's over' first of all--and also, because of Vinnie. At the end of each game, he gives a little wrap of of the evening and then kindly says, "Good night everybody." I always say, "Good night Vinnie!" and go to sleep smiling.
All those LONG nights from mid-October to early April, the bedroom TV gathers dust and, well, there's no one to say good night to.
Just one more reason I love baseball. I am counting the days.
Good night Vinnie.

No comments: