Sunday, February 25, 2007

And the winner is...

Though John Mayer is far more articulate than most of us in his expression of thoughts and has the giftedness to compose music to his journaling (resulting in pure genius), I think all of us can emotionally relate to the amazingly compelling songs on this album. I have listened to "Dreaming with a Broken Heart" at least 100 times, empathizing with every word of the gut-wrenching lyrics:
"Do I have to fall asleep with roses in my hands? Would you get them if I did? No you won't. Cause your gone. When you're dreaming with a broken heart, the waking up is the hardest part."
"Slow dancing in a burning room" tells the familiar tale of a love that you know is not right--you can feel the burn of flames, hear the smoke alarms and barely breath from the smoke of this unhealthy relationship...yet you try to keep dancing, while the world puts out the fire with giant red flags. Yikes. I get it.
"We're going down, and you can see it too. And you know that we're doomed my dear."
There is a hope for subtle restoration and healing in "In Repair"...
"It's taking so long, I could be wrong, I could be ready. But if I take my heart's advice, I should admit, it's still unsteady. I am in repair."
He's a deep thinker, that John Mayer. And he draws me in from every angle. Love the whole album. Passionate, powerful, and deeply profound.
Of course, I still totally delight in "Your body is a Wonderland" too...

2 comments:

Alanna Moine said...

couldn't agree more.

Brent said...

Continuum is a great album. Unfortunately he tries to be too political sometimes.

Mayer is a talent though.