Monday, June 18, 2007

Funeral for a friend

Went to Bud's funeral this afternoon...There was good music, dozens of great stories and LOTS of laughter. When the pastor asked if anyone wanted to come up and say something, at least 10 people stood up (including me) and more kept coming. EVERYONE loved Bud! And Bud made sure that everyone knew that he loved them! The service was packed and the hall was FILLED with the sound of happiness.
Bud made us all happy.
I left there today hoping that my funeral would be just like that. That there would be people lined up to tell GREAT stories of the fun times we had together, of our travels, our laughter, our inside jokes, of baseball games and movies, of special memories and of our AMAZING shared meals!! I LOVE to make people happy--I LOVE to hear people laugh...and I hope--more than anything--that I make KNOWN how very much I love them!
As long as the days seem sometime, today was another reminder that we are all terminal. Bud had so much fun and loved life so very much and he made everyone around him happy and feel loved...THAT is what people remember and, seriously, in the end, that is all that matters.

1 comment:

andrea said...

I would get up at yours and tell the story of the time we watched the middle-aged white man hula dance with fire at camp. One of my favorite Julie moments.