Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Locked out

This afternoon I went to Lowe's and bought a whole bunch of new flowers for my patio. I potted them all out there and am so happy with all the bright colors...everything looks so clean and fresh!
I needed to sweep up the dirt and leaves and didn't want the dust flying into the house, so I quickly closed the slider and then--I heard the STICK drop. The STICK! The stick that the former owners put in the slider track to keep people OUT.
I put down the broom and tried to open the door...it would not budge more than 2 inches. I began to laugh--and cuss a little--but seriously, I thought it was hilarious! The house was locked up from the outside and only ALLISON has another key! How could I call her?
I felt like I Love Lucy...locked out, no one home to even help me...hilarious! I knew there was no option. I had to push on the door until the stick broke enough for me to get in. I tried and tried, but I couldn't make it happen! I kinda thought a neighbor might walk by...but what could they do? I thought about jumping from the balcony...but where would I go? Seriously, I was laughing out loud and I knew there was no option.
I had to break the stick. I jammed and jammed the door, pushing it up and jamming with all my strength.
And it worked.
I took that darn stick and parked it FAR away from the door...
then I went back outside, closed the door and continued sweeping.
The patio looks great.
Can't say the same for the stick.

5 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

'Lightbulbs and broomsticks' (the beginning of a song from The Sound of Music?)...I think the song ends with 'you're a stud'...

Heather McTaggart said...

You are amazing! This would happen to me only I wouldn't get out of it and they would find me dead on the patio in 3 weeks! I love your "SUPERWOMAN" stories...you are incredible! MY HERO....

Allison said...

Wow...sounds like that stick was really preventing a break-in...

Good thing you fixed that hole in the security!

Brent said...

I'm surprised the stick could be broken. You are Superwoman.

Patio looks great.

Unknown said...

All those days at the gym pay off. :-)