Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day?

I walked into the market today and was nearly strangled in the HUNDREDS of balloons that literally filled up the front of the store. In between the malay of balloon strings were DOZENS upon DOZENS of roses and daisies and tulips--all wrapped in bright red paper with bows and ribbon. Racks of love-themed cards filled the aisle and heart-shaped boxes of candy lined the shelves.
I went in to buy hairspray and a banana, and found myself entranced by a barrage of love offerings. And then, of course, I was face to face with the thought of not having anyone to buy any of these things for.
I sent Valentines to my son, my folks, a few friends and my nieces and nephews (my 15 year old nephew, Thatcher told me he LOVED his Strawberry Shortcake Valentine!) I received two beautiful Valentines from great friends...
but it's still kinda weird, right?
This will be my fifth Valentine's day alone.
But I guess what's really weird, is that it feels just fine. I was kinda stoked with the thought of not having to find the right card or the perfect gift for someone. I actually don't even have to think about Valentines Day again. This year, it's really just Saturday to me.
Seriously, there won't be any tears.
I have to work during the day anyway...so that takes up a good chunk of February 14th right off the bat. Graciously, my good friend, Ann, sent me a gift card for a massage--and I booked the appointment for Saturday afternoon! That's MY kind of LOVE!
I think I'll pick up some Chinese food on the way home and spend the evening in my "heart" pajamas with Will and Grace and Ben and Jerry. Both delicious and full of LOVE.
I will head to bed, sleep well, and wake up bright and early on February 15th--
otherwise known as Sunday.
So, along with the hairspray and the banana, I went ahead and bought myself a dozen roses. What the hell, right? They are gorgeous, smell amazing and they make me so happy.
And, by the way, it is Valentine's Day.
Life really is full of love you know...
and it will, indeed, proceed...

3 comments:

Silver Eye Photography said...

Saturday the 14th I will be away to Vegas for a Photographer's convention. I feel more excited about the convention than staying at home that day. Hum????

Eliane said...

First I strongly think Valentine’s Day is over rated and so commercialized.
Second, please define alone….. Have you ever been with someone on Valentine’s but be so emotionally alone? Been there done that!

Gina Vistaunet said...

I'm choosing what I write to not sound bitter, but Valentine's Day to me is the one day a year that a husband, that really doesn't care about his wife, has to go out and buy flowers and never sends them any other day of the year. It's called Obligation Day!