Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Investing in the Manny Market

This morning I got a text from my investment guy, Roy. It read, "Dodgers on verge of signing Manny." He often tells me this kind of stuff to avert my attention from the stock market crash du jour.
But it got me to thinking of how Manny's signing will not just seriously improve my world...in many ways, it could truly be just the stimulus that the economy itself needs to get back on track!
First off, I want to see Manny in Arizona. So does everyone else. Secondly, I want to see him at Dodgers Stadium--and so does everyone else!
Seriously, this is how I see Manny helping the economy in general:
Manny signs.
People IMMEDIATELY buy up the remaining tickets for Spring Training games at Camelback Ranch, which means more jobs for the people of Glendale and its outlying areas. It also means more people will book flights on Southwest Airlines, giving hours and money back to pilots, flight attendants, airport staff, etc. It means more customers for the hotels, motels, stores, gas stations and restaurants of Arizona. This means the valets and bellmen and waitresses and mini-market people retain their jobs and have more money! Which means that they, in turn, are able to take their family on vacation, or out for a meal thus causing OTHER businesses and OTHER areas of the country to have increased travelers and hotel guests and restaurant customers....etc, etc, etc.
And, did I mention that people will call Dodger Stadium and buy 2009 season tickets? Oh yeah! This means more peanut vendors, more beer guys, more people out there selling MANNY WIGS! Peanut company workers keep their job. Beer truck drivers too. Even the wig makers stay busy and make money!! And, then these people have enough money to take THEIR family to dinner, shopping, take them on vacation ....you see? It's the circle of life!
And it all starts when Manny's signiture graces that dotted line.
In some ways, of course, I am being a little bit silly. But, in many ways (manny ways?) I am not...
I can already hear the collective "YES!" from Dodgers fans when this is finalized and actualized and printable!
And, honestly, it could be the beginning of economic relief to the entire country!!
It truly just might be just the stimulus we have been waiting for!!
Stay tuned.
I will, by the way, be checking the Dodger website periodically throughout the night...I want to be among the first to know that Santa has arrived.
Hmm, that Roy is pretty smart. I didn't even checked the stock market once today...

6 comments:

Eliane said...

You are pretty smart yourself! I love the way you think. If you get some good Dodgers tickets I might have to fly to CA.

Zuzana said...

Ha, Julie, you have the most delightful solution; maybe it is time to go into politics.;)))
This was a great read.;)

Silver Eye Photography said...

OMG, Manny can really create a movement

Anonymous said...

You're so funny. I love your blog and your outlook on life...always makes me smile. Also love that you met Greg Maddux (although I dont love your devotion to Kirk Gibson...he's such a tool).

Your loyal lurker,
Vicki

Roberto Baly said...

That's funny! But so true. Sign the contract Manny !

Hey Vicki, you are right about Gibson... lol

PETE Di LALLO said...

It's a day later and Manny's agent has turned down an offer of $45 million for two years...
I'm afraid the Dodgers will be Manny-less this year...
p.s. two years at the salary offered comes to $1,875,000 per month!