Sunday, February 8, 2009

Map Pressed

Wouldn't it be great if you could go to Map Quest and get directions from WHERE YOU ARE to WHERE YOU WANT TO BE?
No, not driving directions--
LIFE directions!
This morning I was on Map Quest trying to figure out how to get to a friend's house. My address always comes up as my automatic starting point--all I have to do is fill in the destination. Today, as I began typing the address, I started to think about where I am really headed. Where AM I going? In life? In my job? My finances? In love??
And, WHERE DO I WANT TO BE?
So--back to Map Quest--the starting point said my house and in the destination I typed: "Happily Ever After"...that's where I want to be.
So how awesome would it be if I could hit 'enter' and actually have the steps mapped out for me?

Go back to school
Take
this job
Stay on straight and narrow
Accept promotion
Move to_____

Meet wonderful man (at_____ on ______.
)
Take new job role

Put money in _____stock.
Watch it go crazy and earn all your money back

Buy Season Tickets to the Dodgers

Get that damn Porsche
Marry that wonderful man
Travel to every baseball stadium.
Live Happily ever after....


Just tell me where to go and where to turn and how long it will take me to get there!
The majority of my life was totally mapped out for me...every step of the way. Didn't need directions...there was no doubt where I needed to go and what the next turn was.
Not long ago I found myself at a new starting point. And I had no idea where I was headed. No Map Quest, GPS, compass, smoke signal or Boy Scout could have helped me at that time. I was just freaking lost. I had to find my way out on my own.
Four years later, I know where I am.
Now I just need to figure out where I'm going.
And how to get there.

6 comments:

Silver Eye Photography said...

Julie: I just love reading your blog. I am those poeple that says I need to do this I need to do that. But, I actually need to take action and direction. Next time I see you I would like to say I am doing this I am doing that. I hope I am making sense, I thought about this went I read your blog today. Nancy

Zuzana said...

Ah Julie, my kind of post!
I would love to have someone tell me where am I going and how I get there.;)
But then again, sometimes not knowing is a part of the fun!
;)))

Eliane said...

Be still.
Life is full of surprises....good surprises. Stay curious!

PETE Di LALLO said...

I love your post...
Waaaaaay better than:
1. Who am I?
2. What am I doing here?
3. Who are all these people around me?

Tara said...

Hi Julie:
I ran across the Saddleback College European Tours ad today and thought of you. Remembering that you have a blog, I googled you and here I am. Your writing is fantastic! I especially love this post as I have the same questions. Take Care,
Tara

Unknown said...

If only. But think about it, life wouldn't be as fun and filled with those little unexpected events. I will however keep that part that tells you what stocks to buy and when.