Sunday, February 15, 2009

Facehook

It starts out innocently enough. Old acquaintances saying hello and catching up. High School friends sending old photos.
Then it becomes an addiction. Logging on every couple of hours to see who's baking cookies and who's no longer in a relationship and who finally got married to their husband of 12 years!
But, eventually, it becomes an obligation. Where are all of these friends coming from? Must they keep sending me things and asking for things and inviting me to things? More importantly, who are all of these people? How many would come to a party if I invited them?
Would they show up at my funeral?
Many of them look like this too...which is ridiculous.Take 4 minutes to add a photo for the love of God! Especially when I have no idea who you are!!
I swear, each time I log on...there are more and more requests!
TEN OTHER requests?? Come on already!So many things to add, accept and sift through...
Updates, gifts, flair, girlfriends? They're multiplying
Drinking request? Likeness quiz invitation?
Really?
Today's was just out of hand.
Requests for hearts, candy hearts, world peace?
Willy's sweet shop?? A pillow fight request?
Let's FACE it. It's a bit too much now.
I can't hit IGNORE fast enough.

10 comments:

Zuzana said...

I somehow never really got into the facebook thing.;) Although I have been having a profile there for years. I only have 3 friends, you are one of them.;))

Eliane said...

Amen Sister!!!!!
Facebook is not what I thought it was going to be. I have no problem hitting decline either.

PETE Di LALLO said...

I can't remember the first person that friended me to join...could have been one or more of my daughters or a Di Lallo relative living in Montreal...
At first I accepted many friends, some that I even knew...others were friends of friends that I had and it went on and on...only recently have I declined a few unknowns...

Facebook is mainly about finding people you've lost track of, right?
Well my friends, I've lost track of more people than you've ever met...and I don't care who you went to the prom with...

I have a job, children, grandchildren and a house to deal with...I don't give a hoot if you've made up with your father or becoming friends again with your ex-spouse...but I love to read about other people doing things so I can judge them for it...

I'm not to old to remember friends' e-mail addresses and wish them my regards or send them corny jokes...it's a pain in the butt for me to do that on Facebook...

Facebook: for young or old people?
I don't know...I've enjoyed hearing from my far-away relatives named Di Lallo, for the most part...these kids are children and grandchildren of my cousins who are anxious to hear from their relatives who are lucky to live in California...I usually answer them by asking: OK, who are your parents, uncles and grandfathers?
and most of them reply that their grandfathers are my first cousins...they lie!

I have an occasional good time on Facebook... just don't get me involved with Twitter...it makes no sense to me...

Kelly said...

It's so true! I really love catching up with our old high school friends but don't really get all the other junk. Miss you!!!

Sarah said...

I avoid Facebook like the plague. I am well aware that my husband and I might be the only two of our generation who couldn't care less about it!

Unknown said...

I have gotten to the point where I block some of those invites or applications. As someone who has been living and breathing Facebook the last few months, those little things can get quite annoying.

POKE!!!!

Anonymous said...

I see you're getting a lot of responses to this. I agree with them, too. I don't know what a poke or a tag is. But . . . I thought you loved this stuff, Julie?? You said you Twitter, My Space, Facebook and blog every day!

TSHarrison said...

What?! You ignored my pillow fight request? Well that just ain't right.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I hear ya! I think your talking to me girl. I will curb my requests to you. I was just thinking the same thing today..."do I have time for all these requests?" Do I send one to someone else? Crazy! Time consuming for sure. We are so related to each other.

Robin

sallymandy said...

Wow, thanks for the eye-opening post. I've been hearing the same thing from a few friends where I live, and I'm glad to hear about this so I don't get tempted into it. It's enough to discipline myself with blogging. I know I could get facehooked, too.