Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mountain DO!

For years and years I came up to Big Bear--to this cabin--alone--to relax. I was always retreating from work and school, as well as cooking, cleaning, oh, and a husband and yeah, kids. I came up here like clockwork--when Allison and Zac were at camp--twice a year--spring and summer. And it was great. I would sleep, read books, watch movies, nap, journal, and I would stay in my pajamas for three or four days straight. And I loved every second of it!
This week finds me up at this beautiful cabin--by myself--again, for the first time in many years. I've brought books and movies and journals...and my jammies. As well as pancake mix, lots of coffee, cookies, pasta, pop tarts and wine. I remembered how much I loved to just STAY in and do NOTHING!
But, as I sat here all day and all night yesterday, I realized that times have really changed. Yep, life is totally different now. I was in my pajamas, watching movies, journaling, reading magazines (and enjoying a pop tart or two)--and I had a revelation: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO AT HOME!! I don't need to come up to Big Bear to do this anymore! Sitting and relaxing is not what I want to do in my time away these days...
I actually thought about packing up and heading home. Instead, I came up with a plan.
This morning, I got up and showered. I put on my warm clothes, along with a hat, a scarf and a jacket. And I went out! I went for a long walk, then I went down to the village. I browsed around in all of the cute little town stores. I had a pastry and a latte at the local bakery! And I sat on a bench and just watched people go by.
This is stuff I don't do at home.
It was so fun...really nice. It was truly a special treat and it was totally relaxing.

Life has changed.
...and I think I'm finally catching up with it.

8 comments:

TSHarrison said...

Enjoy your time there. The photos remind me of growing up in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Some days I miss the snow. (Then some days my brother tells me about the negative degrees temps...and no thanks)

Gina Vistaunet said...

Go to the ski lodge! Have a beer around noon and look at the cute ski guys. Do that tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gina. Go to the Ski lodge and check it out. You never know who may walk by and see a beautiful woman sitting by the fire with a cup of hot coco and think to himself, stop and say hi. You could always try ski lessons, I hear they have men instructors.

SarahD said...

You are adorable!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Alone can me nice...
how about a ski lesson for a few hours and then tackle the mini slopes for two more and then...tackle the bar and coffee shop?

Kim said...

Here's to taking the old and making it new. *ting*ting* (picture me toasting you!)XOXO

Shannon said...

this is a loud resounding YES! that would be the best! i'd love breakfast or a drink: show me one of your favorite places :)

i'm available basically anytime for the next two weeks: no school, no work, no roommates! so ha--- we could do both!

Eliane said...

Wish I was there.
TOY