Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BYOB

Admittedly, I am not much of a tree hugger. Sure, I recycle my shampoo bottles and three or four empty cans of Diet coke each week...but that's really about it.
But, let me tell you that I freaking feel like I am saving the world when I BMOB (bring my own bags) to the market!
I just feel 'cool' going in with them tucked under my arm and even COOLER walking out with all my groceries tucked inside! (Mostly, I think it makes me look like I have my sh*t together enough to remember to bring them into the store. Right?)
To make this practice even more rewarding, most stores are now offering "credit" in one way or another when you use your own bags for your purchases. (I even brought my bags into TJ Maxx the other day. Jealous?) Some stores take 5 or 10 cents off for each bag you bring in and some are giving 'points' on your in-store value club card. Henry's market gives customers 5% off your total when you BYOB! From what I am reading, many stores will be discontinuing the use of plastic bags altogether as of Earth Day this year.
Just in case you need a bit more convincing, let me add that the bags actually hold more, are stronger, and way easier to carry...and, come on, it's probably the easiest thing we can do to truly make a difference!
Of course, I have had friends tell me that they have had a couple of problems with these bags:
Umm...getting them BACK into the car after the groceries have been put away. And, yeah...remembering to take them into the store with you in the first place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice. Hey Julie, your recent profile photo is fabulous.

Zuzana said...

It is quiet common in Europe to bring your own bags.;) Mostly, as most stores charge quite a lot for the plastic they offer.;)
My boyfriend always have a cloth bag in his pocket and it sure comes handy when we do impulsive grocery shopping.;)
I love the bag on the picture.;))

Sarah said...

I use them for dinner group...does that count? WHen I've tried to use them in the past, I've ALWAYS forgotten them in the car! Maybe I should try again. I just wish they were cuter!