Saturday, August 21, 2010

Southern Baptist Sissies

Thanks to Facebook, I have connected with Ty, a genuinely magnificent man who worked with me at Saddleback Church for years and years. About ten years ago, Ty 'came out' (though I've told him, through laughter and tears, I was always sure that he was gay.) Ty's friends, Tom and Lindsay--also part of Saddleback and friends of Allison's for years--joined us last night too.
We met for dinner and then to see the play Southern Baptist Sissies at the Theatre Out in Santa Ana. Basically, it's the story of people struggling to find their identity and come to terms with their beliefs while growing up in the Southern Baptist Church. (Good Lord, could I relate.) Ty and I were in tears through most of the production--when we weren't laughing out loud.
It was an incredible evening...and so much fun to be with Ty again.

1 comment:

BUM said...

It's nice that he has a good supportive friend in you.You all look happy!