Friday, April 10, 2009

Nick Adenhart




I started this blog just about two years ago. My goal in writing each day was to prove to myself and to my friends and family that there was a lot of good in the world--and lots left to celebrate--despite the confusion, sadness, anger, frustration and ridiculousness of day to day living. Enjoying life and inspiring others to strive to do the same, has become the mainstay of these daily posts. "Encouraging optimism--one day at a time" is my objective and a love and appreciation for life is what I try to relay.
And you know that I love baseball. I have followed the game since I was a kid--attending games, following players and daily devouring box scores and standings. I love reading about players, memorizing team stats and club records and I RELISH explaining the infield fly rule. Besides all that I love the 'crack of the bat', the peanuts and crackerjack and the overall joyful feeling of a warm summer night at the ballpark. And I gotta say, being at that Dodgers game the night they swept the Cubs in the playoffs was one of the most memorable nights of my life.
But today finding joy seems kinda hard. Today, baseball, and the fact that the Dodgers lost yesterday, is pretty meaningless. I don't care who gave up those runs to lose the game. Today I am having a hard time being optimistic or even attempting to find something joyful to write about.
Life is not always good. And, no matter how much we try, there is no way to ever understand or explain or reason or figure out why things happen. You can be ON TOP OF THE WORLD one minute and have it all crumble and disappear the next. You can be full of passion and possibility and potential just hours before your life is tragically ended.
What? Why? How?
I am guilty of often saying that life is too long.
Today, I apologize.
If the news of Nick Adenhart's ridiculously timed demise does not prove that life is completely unpredictable, unbelievably fragile and--ultimately--extremely short...I don't know what does.
If nothing else today, please let it be a reminder to live life to the fullest...and to enjoy each day of your life...
it really is way too short.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well said. We were very sad yesterday when we heard the news. It's a great loss.