Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The waiting is the hardest part...

Though I was an exceptional waitress for 15 years, I'll admit, I am a terrible waiter. I know what I want and I work hard to find a way to get it! I like to follow a process that will lead me to my desired result and LOVE to follow that plan!
But I'm at a point right now--in several areas of my life--where I just have to wait. Period! And, whether I like it or not, I am learning how to do that. I admit, I am powerless over these situations. (That's the first step, right?) And, I have realized there is nothing I can do to make certain things happen or make them happen any faster. There is no process or plan that can be put in place that will make things the way I would like them to be--now.
And so, I wait.

My house is not coming along as quickly as I hoped (read: planned!) The painter has had a couple of setbacks and that has, in turn, held up my productivity. When he finished the kitchen, I finished the kitchen. When he finished the living and dining rooms (well, mostly), I put up curtains, and set up my bar. When he finished my bedroom (well, mostly), I was able to set my bed up (and it's a quite lovely new bed, I might add!) Basically, I follow him around ready to unpack and fix up the SECOND he is done with a room. Unfortunately, he's not sure when he'll be able to come back and do any more...much less finish.
And so, I wait.

But you know me...I can't sit still for very long. I have been off the last two days and NOT being able to unpack boxes and continue organizing my house has been a tad on the discouraging side. I can hardly sleep at night knowing how many boxes are still left to unpack...and that my poor car is not in the garage.

Interestingly, I know the waiting time is not for nought. I'm supposed to be learning something from all this, right? I AM finding that I have a bit more patience these days and, as I do my best to find the things I need each day on my dozen or so trips down to the garage, I'm almost proud of myself! I'm no longer focused on all I am unable to do. The words I MOST hear out of my mouth these days have been, "Do what you CAN do, Julie."

And so, I do.

I know I can't unpack any boxes, but I can certainly go through them. I took another car load of things to the Goodwill today, which is productivity at its best for me! Then I made a trip to Home Depot and bought some plants and flowers for my porch and patio. I even made a stop at Pep Boys for new wiper blades! I filled up my tank, got my car washed, sold a few old pieces of jewelry, and ended up at Trader Joe's where I purchased at least a week's worth of groceries. (Being 103 degrees outside, I stayed a little while at TJ's...came home with a lot of good stuff!) Arriving back at the house, I started the dishwasher and a load of laundry while unloading bags and then made myself a huge salad.
I decided I'd sit out on my little patio to enjoy it.
It was delicious. And very enjoyable.

The house is SO pretty, so quiet, so relaxing and so full of light that, unfinished as it is, I can really only be thankful and happy that I'm here...and that it's mine. Sure, it would be great to have paint on a few more walls, less boxes piled up in each room, and yes, it would be nice to not have to move the TV from place to place in search of reception to watch the Dodgers...and of course, it would be lovely to have my car in the garage when I leave at 5:15 each morning...
But all in good time.
All in good time.

What I'm really finding out is that there's so much to do while I wait.

No comments: