Wednesday, June 29, 2011

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life...

I have a skinny Moleskine notebook in every single part of my little house...and in my car and in my desk at work. I need there to be one close at hand when I think of an idea or subject that I want to write about! I am constantly scribbling in these notebooks, needing to get my (brilliant!) thoughts out on paper as quickly as I can. My most thought-provoking moments are when I'm getting ready in the bathroom, when I'm driving, all day at work, and, of course, in the middle of the night. Lately, I've actually overwhelmed myself with the number of things I think about!
The last couple of days I've been trying to consolidate a few hundred of these thoughts, as well as a few of the notebooks...and came up with this:
A (random) collection of blogging ideas, (somewhat) thoughtfully arranged into a list of things I (try hard to) do to help keep my life on (the right) track.
I thought I might pass them on to you...

  1. Be the most encouraging person you know
  2. Listen with your eyes
  3. Take the statement, "I don't have enough time" out of your vocabulary.
  4. Use the good dishes and light the candles. Drink the champagne you've been saving.
  5. Be forgiving and say you're sorry
  6. Return everything you borrow and consider things you loan out a gift
  7. Make a list of things you want to do...then start doing them
  8. Donate blood (my blood type is B positive!)
  9. Take lots of pictures and get in your own
  10. Dance more. Sing more. Really listen to music ('Music is what feelings sound like...')
  11. No more blaming others for where you are. Take responsibility for your life and let others take responsibility for theirs.
  12. Take "I'm tired" and "I don't feel good" out of your vocabulary (and PLEASE never tell someone else they look tired!)
  13. Remember people's birthdays
  14. Say please to everyone
  15. Exercise and drink water like it's going out of style
  16. Have a job that you love
  17. Get out of debt. It's not about making more money--it's about spending less.
  18. Lose the weight and be done with it. And stop talking about it (yes, I'm still working on this one!)
  19. Use people's names when you talk with them. Read name tags
  20. Don't top a friend's story with one of your own
  21. Be kind and give lots of compliments
  22. Be positive and enthusiastic
  23. Laugh out loud. Smile at people.
  24. Simplify your whole world by giving away (letting go of, selling, getting rid of) as much as you possibly can. Less is so much more.
  25. Be a hard worker and praise the work of others. (Then watch them smile!)
  26. Put the past behind you once and for all. Let go and move on
  27. Make it a goal to never complain. Ever again.
  28. Be truly happy for other people...and let them know!
  29. Your home is a reflection of your life--keep it clean, organized and in good repair
  30. Open the door for someone. Insist that someone go ahead of you in line. Tell the checker she looks nice today
  31. Say thank you. Be grateful
  32. Wear sunscreen. Take good care of yourself!
  33. Have a good attitude. Seek out the bright side
  34. Get up as early as necessary so that you never have to be in a hurry
  35. Enjoy every moment of now and stay curious about the future!
This is your life. Be happy!

3 comments:

138 said...

How perfect it is that you have B Positive blood! 138

Sweet Lu said...

I love your "list" blogs. Even if I adapt one into my daily life I WILL become a better person. Your positive personality and outlook radiate from you and therefore leak onto me. I am grateful. XOXO

Sonja said...

There's not a single one of those you don't already do.