Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Web browsing

I've been watching a spider spin a web between two planters out on my patio the last few days. Not sure why this beautiful spider chose such an expansive space for this creation (well, compared to her size) but I certainly admired her for attempting such a feat. I knew it would take a long time for her to construct such a large web, but she didn't seem to mind...and it was beyond fascinating to watch her as she worked. Taking one step at at time, working intentionally and diligently, she went back and forth and back and forth. She worked for a couple of days on that giant web, slowly and steadily, at what truly became a masterpiece.
And then, she just sat there.
She just sat there in her amazing web.
I'm so attracted to her patience and her ability to be so still.
So calm.
Obviously very fragile, I knew the web wasn't going to last very long. Though I was careful as I watered the plants around it, there was no doubt that the wind or a slight rain would be enough to knock down the web, and that beautiful, hard-working spider.
Today, when I got home from work, she was gone. Remnants of the web were left hanging from the plants. And it made me kind of sad.
I wondered right away if she was sad. Or maybe angry? Was she upset that what she worked so hard to build was now gone? Was she crying in a corner thinking it was all over? Was she off somewhere brooding about how unfair life is?
No, she wasn't.
I glanced up to the back of my patio...and there she was...up in the corner of the roof...starting over. Working one step at a time, back and forth, back and forth.
Building a new masterpiece.
And tonight, she sits patiently, still and calm.

Inspiration from a spider.

“What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight. Build anyway.”
-Mother Teresa

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Peter Parker would be proud of your spider spinning story...

Zuzana said...

Julie, I love this post, have you not posted this one once before a few years back? I recall it because it spoke to me volumes then and it still does now.;)
Hope all is well,
xoxo

Steve said...

Julie, just an idea - after reading most all of your blog, it seems based on your story & attitude it would make a great book idea. You take everything in stride and still come out smiling. I think you have it in you, just whether or not you want to do it. You do seem to have a very enjoyable life right now, so maybe you just want to experience all of what life is giving you. Best Wishes and thanks for taking time to write each day, you are my first stop each day.