Friday, June 10, 2011

Perspective

I had a crazy conversation with a guy at work yesterday. We were talking about marriage and he was completely surprised when I told him that, though I have been single for the last six years, I had previously been married for 23 years.
He said, "Why would you get a divorce after all those years...why not just stick it out?"
First off I said, "Let me guess...you have never been married." Then I went on to tell him that I had not ever really been happily married and I was really hoping for a second chance at loving life.
He said, "But your life is half over!"
Wow...spoken like a true 23 year old.
Perspective.

When my kids were about 2 and 4, I decided to go back to college. I knew that between working part time and taking care of a house and family full time, I would only really be able to take two classes a semester. I remember excitedly telling people that I was going back to finish my degree and having MANY of them say, "Two classes a semester? It's gonna take you 20 years to finish. You'll be nearly 40 by then!"
My response would ALWAYS be, "How old will I be in 20 years if I DON'T go back to school?"
Perspective.
(I graduated a week after my 37th birthday. Still one of the best things I've ever done.)

Yeah, I know, I admit it, my life is half over. But I assure you, most of it was very well spent--honestly, I have no regrets.

But half over means half is still yet to come...
And I truly believe the BEST half still lies ahead of me.
It's just a matter of perspective.

4 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

I've told that 'gonna be 40' story to dozens of 20-somethings and hopefully inspired them to continue or begin their education...
thank you...they don't call you Jewel for nothing...

Kelly said...

You're my HERO!!! XO

Steve said...

Julie what an amazing blog!! It is simply the most positive collection of thoughts & pictures; I have been reading each & every post. Wow! I don't think I have ever seen someone smile so big! Congratulations on always doing what you want & enjoying life so much, I will continue to read the rest of it & I hope some of your enthusiasm rubs off!! Have a great weekend Julie!!

138 said...

Perspective would be a great name for a book. Especially, someone who has such an indepth, personal, positive, glass half full view of life! I would buy that book from this incredible author.