Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Old Mother Hibbard...

I absolutely hate to go to the grocery store and hold out as LONG as I can between shopping trips. I will eat every single thing left in the house to avert a trip the market--instant oatmeal, a can of soup, or anything you can make out of Bisquick and water.
But tonight, the cupboard was bare...well, darn close! I have peanut butter--and jelly!--but no bread. I have Parmesan, but no pasta. Tabasco, but no eggs.
I started to think I was going to have to have that last Slim Fast for dinner rather than for tomorrow's breakfast.
Then I opened the freezer.
Hidden behind the two frozen turkeys Montage has given me the past couple of Thanksgivings, there was a glorious frozen pizza left over from Zac's birthday party in March! (OK, maybe it was from his graduation party in May of 2008.) Either way, I had truly forgotten it was in there.
I warmed up the oven and actually enjoyed the smell of something BAKING in my home. I cut it while it was hot...cheese and pepperoni were dripping off the sides!!
And it was spectacular! With just a shot of that Chardonnay (no idea how long it's been in there) it was the perfect dinner.
And, I averted the grocery store for one more day.

I'm invited to a friend's house for dinner tomorrow night--and I've definitely got enough leftover pizza to get me through the end of the week!
Ok...I'll go to the market on Saturday!

Hmm...wonder how long it would take to cook one of those turkeys?


4 comments:

BUM said...

Julie , I'll be glad to cook the turkey for you and package it in little amounts for another weeks dinners. Mom

Zuzana said...

Hehe, Julie, I HATE grocery shopping as well. It is the worst thing I know, I feel it is so unrewarding as I hate cooking and it is no fun to waste money on food, just for one person.
Great post!
Happy you found some pizza; I agree, it smells so good when something is baking.;))

Sarah said...

I actually love going to the grocery store and cooking. I love it most when the kids aren't around. I bet if I posted a picture of my fridge you'd die!

Anonymous said...

Is that an egg? One egg? You would not want me to post a picture of my fridge either.....sometimes I can't find what I am looking for. lol I kinda like the look of your fridge, you know where everything is. :)

Your Arizona Cousin Robin