Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's still Rock and Roll to me...

How much better does it get? You've got the Piano Man and the Rocket Man. Bennie and the Jets and the Stranger. Only the Good Die Young and yes, the Bitch is Back. There were Scenes from an Italian Restaurant and a Funeral for a Friend.
Captivating! Amazing! Absolutely brilliant!
Seriously, I smiled (see above) all night long...and sang just about every word of each of these incredible performers' magnificent repertoire. And so did Allison. (Chock that up to really good parenting...)
I had seen Elton John three or four times before. I believe the last time was around 1977, with my parents and Gina at the Universal Amphitheatre. That evening holds a special memory in our family's history. It was the night we showed up at a concert with tickets to the previous nights' show. Crushed and devastated (and 14 years old) my dad purchased tickets from a scalper right there at the site...and we enjoyed the show tremendously. (Thanks Dad! That was cool!) My Dad LOVES Elton John, and Elton would not have disappointed him last night. Though obviously detouring from the very high notes he used to belt out, he delighted the audience with songs from 'the day.' I always tell people that I LOVE Elton John-"pre-Can You Feel The Love Tonight." He thrilled me by singing ALL my favorite songs, including Levon and Tiny Dancer, and by not singing ANYTHING from Lyon King.
And Billy Joel? I had seen him just about a year ago at the same venue. But this was a completely different show. Billy not only sang his seemingly ENDLESS stream of songs I love and know by heart...but he sang Elton's songs as well. And vice-verse. We were privileged to experience pianos being played at their utmost potential. Unbelievable!
The two capped off the night--THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER--with an incredible rendition of "Piano Man." There was not a person in the packed house that was not on their feet and singing every word at the top of their lungs.
Including me. And my daughter.
Seriously, how much better does it get?

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

It's only Rock and Roll and I would have liked it!!!!

Zuzana said...

Glad you had so much fun and what a great experience to see this with your daughter; you look so much alike.;))

Silver Eye Photography said...

What a wondeful way of spending quality time with Allison. Nancy Ramos