Saturday, March 14, 2009

Girl Scout Hookey

I have LITERALLY not had a Girl Scout Cookie in at least five years. Actually, probably closer to 10. And though I remember how delicious they are, I am pretty sure I will never have one again. Way too much fat, far too many calories...just totally not worth it.
In past years I have always PURCHASED a box or two each time I encountered a cookie stand--at the bank, the market, at my front door...I'm just nice that way, ya know?
(Yeah...the sad eyes of a Girl Scout...)
Then I'd just take the boxes to a friend or bring them to work.
But not this year. So far this week, I have walked past THREE sets of cookie pushers. When asked if I would like to purchase a box or two, I have simply said, "No thank you."
(Though I have wanted to say, "Have you seen my ass?" OR
''Have you noticed that I have gained 10 pounds since I saw you here last year in front of Ralphs?")
And it's the mothers too, ya know? THEY are the ones who give you the guilt look!!
(DO NOT make eye contact with the MOTHERS!)
That is...until tonight. As I drove into the Ralph's parking lot earlier this evening, I immediately saw that both entrances were obstructed by Girl Scouts, their banners, their cookies, and their mothers! As I walked toward the store, I saw the Girl Scouts preparing to pounce!
But rather than say no to them, I quickly decided to take a new approach. When the little begging voice pleaded "Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?"
I very calmly said, "No thank you. But may I make a donation?"
The girls looked at the moms who--in unison--said, "SURE!"
No, I don't need the cookies...but it's nice to be nice, right?
As I handed each of the girls a $5 bill, I said, "You eat a box for me, ok?"
And it made them smile. Yeah, worth it for sure.

PS My friend Sonja GENEROUSLY brought me a box of Girl Scout peanut butter chocolate cookies the other day. I graciously told her that I do not eat them, but she insisted that I take them. I immediately put them in the mail to Hawaii. I know that Sarah and her family will love them. (Do they have Girl Scouts in Hawaii?)

One more thing...Sonja claimed that she has eaten several boxes in the last few weeks.
These are for you Sonja.

7 comments:

Silver Eye Photography said...

Julie - that is so funny. Nancy Ramos

Zuzana said...

Amazing that you have such a strong character, I would have given in as I always give in to temptation.;))
Your gesture of making a contribution despite not buying anything was one in a million, as you are.;))
Hope your weekend was good.;))

Sarah said...

I haven't seen a single girl scout or box of thier cookies this year. Looks like no Thin Mints this year!

Anonymous said...

. . . and I'm going through another box as I sit here reading your post. They are DELICIOUS and such a worthy cause.

Kelly said...

How come I got stuck buying $80 worth of girl scout cookies from Sonja and I don't even like them?? I'm such a sucker!!!

Anonymous said...

Damn lucky you did, Kelly, because for the first time EVER the Girl Scouts have run out of cookies before the sale was over! Eat them and enjoy.

Brent said...

Send the next box my way, Jules. I will gladly take anyone's Girl Scout cookies that they don't want to eat, especially the Tagalongs (Peanut Butter Patties).