Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dear Porsche,

Let me start by saying, I love you. I have always loved you. Since driving your 1987 brother and your 1967 cousin (both belonged to my Dad), I have DREAMED of the day you would be mine. I can spot you out on the road a mile away. You are so attractive to me and you perform like no other. A few months ago, I had realized that I could actually make my dream of owning you a reality...and began to get excited about having you in my life.
But I have been doing a lot of thinking since my return from Kenya...and I don't think I can do it anymore. I can't own a car that looks like you and costs what you cost! I KNOW! You are still so beautiful to me, but I just don't think that I can have you in my life knowing what is happening in Kenya! Knowing what that money would do for the people of that country! I KNOW that I would enjoy driving you all day...but I know I would be unable to sleep at night.
I'm sorry. I just don't think I can do it...
I have realized that your dear old friend, Mr. 2001 Volkswagen, is just fine for me after all. He's been so good to me and has taken care of all of my needs. He is paid for too. And he's still kinda cute.
Though my heart still beats for YOU (I think it always will...)
I can't justify having you in my life...
I believe, Dear Porsche, that these words say it best...
You're beautiful, it's true
There must be an angel with a smile on her face
When she thought up that I should be with you
But it's time to face the truth
I will never be with you

3 comments:

Sarah said...

My parents felt similar when they came back from Mongolia. I think every few years we all need an expereince that puts life in perspective.

brad johnson said...

OKAY....YOU TOTALLY MOVED ME WITH THAT. You anthropomorphed that car into a man. It was a brilliant letter. And a tender heart. And a terrific truth. And I'm gonna have to give up something now....

Eliane said...

Oh Kiddo!!!!! I am so proud of you. I know how hard it must have been for you come to this decision and especially putting it to words. Stay curious!