Thursday, December 28, 2006

You can't bring that on the plane


Remember the good ol' days...(like about 5 months ago) when you could bring the items you needed along with you when traveling? Well, those days are over, my friends...
Since I only have two suitcases--the GIANT black one (the one I took on my three week Europe trip) or a small carry on (which is good for a weekend away) --and nothing in between--I had my lotion, hairspray, toothbrush, etc in my carry on.
I KNOW, I KNOW...so it's been a while since I traveled (five whole months!) I forgot the new "no liquids" rule!!
After checking the suitcases, we went through security and the (100 year old) security lady yelled out, "CODE RED ALERT"
Ok, it was not code red, but it was like an emergency--and I could not figure out what she could possibly be referencing in MY carry on bag! A very nice gentleman, (who no doubt moon-lights as a greeter at Wal Mart) called me over, opened my bag and started taking out all the items that I could not take on the plane.
Starting with my ($4.) Pantene hairspray and the ($3) right-out-of-the-box-new-tube of Colgate with whitener toothpaste. Allison had hairspray and toothpaste wisely packed in her checked luggage, so I was ok...embarrassed and angry at myself for forgetting the newly enforced "no liquids on the plane" rule, but I would be ok with losing those.
But then, he took my never even opened bottle of Bath and Body Gardenia Lotion (8 bucks!!)...
"Noooooooooo!!!" I yelled (softly), my tearing eyes begging Grandpa to NOT carelessly toss that lovely lotion in the trash bin! He was so kind...but said, "I am so sorry...you can't bring that on the plane..."
I gathered what was left of my belongings, and slowly walked away, depressed and heartbroken for my beautiful, sweet- smelling lotion...dumped in a trash bin (along with my hairspray and toothpaste)...and a whole lot of other absent minded peoples' brand new toiletries...
Yippee!!! Room service just got here with our strawberry pancakes, maple syrup and diet cokes!!
OK-I am over the lotion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I read your blog as I was not aware of the new rules either. So if and when I travel again I will be sure not to bring my Bath & Body Works lotion on my carry-on. :) I am so jealous of you and Allison shopping in Seattle!! Have fun and Happy New Year to you too!