Sunday, January 31, 2010

I was so much older then

I have a hard time talking to friends my age when they start saying they are old.
I guess I just don't understand it.
I have never felt younger or better than I do today.
I have never been so healthy!
I have never ever ever enjoyed life so much!

The guess the truth is, I have already been old!

I was old when my friends were living away at college and I was in a tiny apartment, working two jobs and taking care of my two little babies.
I did old when they were backpacking Europe, laying on a beach somewhere and planning their perfect wedding and I was taking kids to Girl Scouts and Karate and Little League and being Room Mother and Team Mom and School Board Vice President.
And, while these friends were starting careers and doing happy hour and climbing the corporate ladder, I got REALLY old while waiting for teenagers to come home, teaching them to drive, and helping them survive their first heartbreak.
In the mean time, I cooked, cleaned, did laundry and ran a household while working full time and taking college classes part time. I was thrashed at the end of every day.
Yep...I've already been old.

And I am so much younger now...

Today I work a job I absolutely love and have a nice, clean, quiet home. I (finally) finished college and don't have to drive carpool or make lunches anymore.
And I haven't had to build anything out of sugar cubes for nearly 20 years.
I do what I love and love what I do...every single day.

I just don't think it has anything to do with our age.
It's simply life stage.

I have just started living and plan to go a very long time.
There are just too many things I haven't done yet...ski a black diamond run, skydive, be at a Dodgers World Series game...fall in love...and so much more.
I am blessed with good health and the energy to keep on going!
Of course I'm getting older...but I am not getting old.

When we are 80 and skiing in Mammoth or playing tennis or standing atop the Eiffel tower...
I will remind them of how they thought they were old when we were in our mid 40s.
I promise you, at that point, they will know what a fool they were to have not appreciated our youth.
This is the youngest we will ever be!
These are the best days of our life.
Be young and enjoy it with me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Well said Ms. Hibbard! You can out-run and out-last just about anyone I know--regardless of their age.
Keep on going and keep getting (well at least feeling) younger. As you say, "LIfe is good." No wonder it's so good for you. You are timeless. Ageless?
Fabulous!

GA

Zuzana said...

Well written dear Julie. I guess we are as old as we feel. And you only keep getting younger.;)
xo
Zuzana

racheld said...

Well done....I need to read this tonight! I went on a first date today, not so monumental but I have recently letting go of a dream of love with another. Lets hope this year real love is in the cards for both of us!

Gal Friday said...

"And I haven't had to build anything out of sugar cubes for nearly 20 years" Heh..heh...I think I have finally passed that point with my kid, too. Thank goodness.
Age is definitely a number, and also depends greatly on your health and happiness with life in general.
Great post--I enjoyed reading it.

Kelly said...

I love that you constantly remind me that we are NOT old and we can do absolutely anything we desire!!! I might have to pass on skiing with you when we're 80 but I can't wait for our trip to Greece when we're 50!!! Thanks for keeping me so young Jewels!!! XO