Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Five years later...

Today is January 12. It is the fifth anniversary of the day I came home to find empty suitcases waiting for me on the bed. It was not a pretty evening...
I moved out that night.
It's been a LONG five years, I assure you. Full of learning and leaning, of laughing and lamenting, of loving and libation...oh yes, how I have learned to love that!
I must say, five years later, that I am OH SO proud of where I have landed. I own my home. And it's a beautiful home...full of furniture that I hauled home from consignment stores in the back of my wagon and pushed up the stairs all by myself. Every single piece. I also hung every picture on the walls. I even built the bookshelves. (With a little help from Allison...) I own my dream car now too.
There is nothing that I'm unable to do at this point. I pay the bills, plunge the toilet and take out the trash. I can get things up into the rafters-and down from the rafters. I have even learned how to take the leaf in and out of the kitchen table on my own. I water the plants and hose down the patio and wash the windows and clean the garage and even wash my own car. I also take it in for repairs and oil changes. I know how to check the pressure in my tires. I recently called and got a better rate on my car insurance and got a deal on my home owner's insurance at the same time. I do my taxes and I just updated my will.
I cook and clean and shop and gladly do repairs around the house. I have moved TVs up and down the stairs and I hang the Christmas lights each year. I've learned to barbecue and to get the lids off jars and use an external hard drive and I know how to hook up the cable and the DVD players and the printer and how to set the DVR...

And...I read and relax and sit on my patio and drink wine and watch movies and take long baths. I sleep in on my days off and haven't made my bed in years. I plan trips and go to baseball games and see movies in the middle of the day. I go out to breakfast and lunch and dinner and have drinks with friends--as often as I can. A dinner of cereal and toast while watching the ballgame in my jammies is truly delightful! I let the house go once in a while...and dishes sometimes sit in the sink for days. And it's just fine with me!
Honestly, these were things that were most difficult to learn. And I have mastered them now.
I have learned to breathe. And I smile. And I laugh a whole lot.
Yep, I've done pretty good.
Gimme five.

9 comments:

S. said...

Can I just say that you are an inspiration to me? I read your post and thought...."WOW!!". I can't imagine the pain of how that must have felt 5 years ago....but I can sense the joy and happiness that you have. And I love that you are living life....

Thank you!!

Susie

PS. I don't think anything is going to happen with the "He"---but I am still thankful for the "He" time that I had--I am considering it a kiss from God. Good things are still to come.

Zuzana said...

Good for you!
You seem so very happy, I guess whatever happened those five years ago have brought you to a better place.
Happy *five* dear Julie!
xo
Zuzana

Fashion Schlub said...

if i didn't say it before...you go, girl :-)

Leah Mazur said...

Julie, you are one of the most amazing women I know. What a journey you have been through these past five years...and look at all you've done for yourself. It sounds to me like you are exactly where you need to be.

How are you single?! (hehe...juuuust kidding)

Dean White said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dean White said...

Ok...you are amazing and I am just damn proud to know you! You are an inspiration to many. And you have found something that eludes most of us all our lives ...how to become happy with ourselves. I truly believe, it is at that point that we are able to love in the fullest and find increasing joy in our life. I'm still working on it myself ...I'll let you know when I get there! :)

BUM said...

Keep up the good stories of successes! I still say that there's a book in all this...Mom

Our Tribe said...

Ahhhh... LOVE how you express that. It resonates with me.
Happy 5.
:)

Anonymous said...

Five years, wow! It's been 3 years for me and I hope to have the peace you have after 5 years. I struggle with one "thing" and I know you know what that is. You are a strong, beautiful and independent woman. I can't wait until March and our Spring Training games. We do need to plan another "girls" getaway weekend. Southwest take us away.......

Love you cousin,
Robin